Buying a 406 V6

Hi Group

Standing against my first car buy I have considered a second-hand car, namely a 406 V6... As cars are so damn expensive i Denmark i have to buy a model from app. 96-98.

I think I have heard once that some (the first?) versions of the V6 engines in 406 have some weak spots... Does anyone know about that? The cars I've been looking have a mileage of 150-200 kkm...

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

I have a 73000 mile 1997 406 V6 saloon for a runabout.

Economy poor, performance only average to poor for a 3 litre six. Whilst smooth at low RPM, they do not pull with the wide torque band of more modern variably valve timed sixes (certainly don't have 90% of max torque at 1500 RPM for example), and they run out of puff quite early on - power peak is at about 5500 RPM and only 194 BHP. Get caught in the wrong gear and the 1.9 TDis at least the better ones will have you for breakfast until you get over

4000 RPM, and then it has peaked all too quickly.

Handling is average, quite nose heavy and understeery, with quite a propensity for dramatic lift off oversteer in the wet (can easily result in a 180 degree spin, and I am comparing it with performance cars with double the power here which are far more forgiving, there is very little steering feel to warn you either) depending on tyre choice and road conditions, ride excellent, brakes terrible with little feel and no confidence despite various pad materials used and new discs/fluid, no faults etc. Reliability average, trim quality average, seats uncomfortable lacking in squab length and adequate lumbar support.

They are far cheaper second hand than an equivalent BMW because they are nowhere near as good IMHO.

Reply to
John Banks

I've '98 auto estate with 70k, miles on the clock which returns a reasonable mph. However as nearly everything is electrically operated beware! Find yourself a good garage for emergencies etc the dealers are very expensive. At that age the exhaust may require attention, check the service record! When they're going well it is a great car but when it ain't........

Reply to
John Hollinshead

Hi again

Thank you for your detailed answers. I understand its a very comfort-oriented car. Perhaps I should give it some second thoughts as I hoped the handling of the 406 high power versions was more aggressive.

Also, I have considered a 405 T16 but there are very few of those...

Thanks again

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

Hello,

Mmmm... You've got taste to consider a T16. Have you got luck to find one ? :-) It must rock, 200HP (220HP when overboost on) on a 4WD car, it should be as quick as the 406V6, but with the turbo "effect" :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Yep - nice car. Actuallly, I've seen a couple for sale in DK. And it can be afforded, too.

Though, I've have not tried this very 405 model yet. And finally the insurance problem must be sorted out before a T16 becomes reality :)

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

Hello,

I've seen only one here, in France. Lovely !

I guess insurance rates would make cough anyone :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Endeed! I am a bit impressed over the interior. It looks nice for a mid 90 car.

Actually, i know an owner of a T16 here in Denmark. He pays 11500 dkr. (app.

1650 Euro) per year for a full insurance with some damage-free seniority :) Well, I think that is cheap after Danish conditions...

A remark: 205 TD has never been for sale in Denmark. Though, I've seen some i France - it must be quite fast ;)

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

Hello,

It would make me cough :-)

Having a car is so expensive ? I've heard a car costs a lot to buy in Denmark, it is the same with insurance ?

Mainly looks like an Mi16. Only the 16" rims (and rear logo) makes the difference, but it stays in a good condition with time - like most Peugeots : build quality could be doubtious, but it doesn't get worse.

That's interresting... Bad luck :-)

It is ! 1769cc 78HP@4300RPM, 155Nm@2100RPM, for a weight of 925kg. It rocks. Not like a GTi, but rocks (you can take on Golf TDI90s if you want to), with the GTi drivetrains (as standard on TDs), it's designed to stay stuck to the road :-) My brother's got a 205 DTurbo, he's quite happy with it.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

:)

I must admit I do not know the price level in the EU. But it is my impression that Danish insurance is expensive.

And the cars.... I just checked the Peugeot prices - a standard XR 307 (no aircon) cost around 31000 Euro (the car price is added a tax of 180 % - afterwards a value added tax of 25 % is added). More expensive cars like Mercedes etc. cost so much you wouldn't even believe it :)

Exactly ;) - but the versions of T16 I have seen was with alcantara on the dashboard and part leather cabin. At least the Mi16 I have seen did not feature this.

Nice - I can imagine the steering response and the balance through curves :)

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

Hello,

Well, I pay 230EUR for minimal insurance +windscreen insurance +stealing waranty +fire, with a 4-yrs old driving licence, no damage and a "cheap" car (c'mon, it's a 205, not a S-class Merc).

I knew for the tax - made me cough once, but how can Dannish people afford a

31kEUR car (and that, just a 307) ? Do they have cars, do they import them (it's something like twice the price in France, which is Peugeot's country, so they're supposed to be more expensive than anywhere else).

Sure !

Demoniac ! Once upon a time, I was driving my brother's DTurbo on a tiny countryside road around my home, I said him "well, I'm damn slow", he answered "Just 120KPH". I guess you see my point :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Well, thats cheap. If you're under 25 years in DK it's hard to get any insurance except third party insurance that is obligatory by legislation. If you got at muscle car you're completely on your own...

It's a bit of a jungle to import because the taxation authorities estimates taxes from case to case. The vast majority buy at the local car dealer. I don't know if wages are very high in this country but the fact is that many households have two cars - but you rarely see two brand new BMW's :)

In fact, French cars are VERY popular (Peugeot 206, 307, 406, Citroën C3, Xsara, C5 all are in Top20) because they are much cheaper than German cars.

Hehe, I sure do. That's what car driving is all about. For some reason French car manufactures just "got it" ;)

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

Not fair - that's really cheap. For my 205 GRDT, with 11 years driving, clean record (in the uk), I pay £350 - approx 560Eur! And that's considered pretty cheap. I might have to move to france.. You all speak english over there, right? ;-)

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Hello,

Ooops, sorry. That's my dad's insurrance (last year) - over 30 yrs licence, no problem so far. My insurrance is rather at 450EUR.

Errr, same here. The "new" VW Golf Mk5 (not really new, IMO, bah) is more expensive than a 307, for example - and I don't think of spare parts, 'cause after that you just think Pug parts are cheap. Last year, french cars made 60% of the local market - quite good, with 60% of Diesel cars (french market overall), but cars like 307s are 70% of HDis. Current Diesel part of French cars running is about 40%... So french manufacturers are popular here, and so is Diesel :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

That's about what my brother pays for his '91 DTurbo (minimal insurrance with options like windscreen, fire, stealing), 4yrs licence, no problems.

No, I'm the only one :-) But you would have cheaper cars, and "pure Pugs", i.e LHD, with metric clocks (not MPHs) :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

"EjS" skrev i meddelandet news:3ff70e41$0$8778$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp02.dk.telia.net...

Hi EjS,

have you considered to import one from Sweden or Germany, it can not be too many V6 406´s in Denmark (I have never seen on with Danish plates.....) Well, I´m driving an 406 Break V6 -01 with the updated engine, 210 bhp.

This car has now 124000 km on the meter, and so far no major problem. Peugeots are cheap (low priced) in Sweden and also the service and parts are better priced here than in most other countries. The 194 bhp engine is more "sporty" than the newer one, but uses more petrol............that is the only major difference.

Just wait a while, I´ll buy a 407 when they are availible in Sweden. (then you buy my 406 from the dealer in Malmoe.........)

regards

/lafayette

Reply to
Lafayette

Oki :) Still cheap though...

I couldn't agree more...

No wonder. Diesel is about to become popular here in DK too. But a special extra tax on diesels (something about a more pollution exhaust) make them much more expensive than gasoline cars.

For example: Peugeot 406 2.0 (gasoline - 138 bhp) costs 37000 Euro Peugeot 406 2.2 HDi (136 bhp) costs a litle more than 50000 Euro (!)

Maybe it is not useful information to you - but the prices are insane, right ;)

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS

Importing cars that are not more than a couple of years is not advantageous in DK. Because of the high car taxes in DK the manufacturers (especially PSA) already sell the cars quite cheap to their dealer. As taxes are calculated from this price there is no idea in going to Sweden and buy a more expensive car.

Anyway, there are lots of 406 SV V6 and TS6 on the market. From the beginnig in 1996 the car has been the best selling in its segment, particularly as a company car. So that is no problem.

My budget is 15000 Euro which goes to a 1997-1998 model with a mileage of app. 150000 km. If I choose a car under these conditions I must be aware of any weaknesses in order to avoid too big repairs ...

Okay. Interesting!

As usual Peugeot has created a design star with the 407 :) NICE car! And thank you for the advice. But as I said I must stick to Danish cars...

Best regards EjS, Denmark

Reply to
EjS