Re: 106 brakes - how do you adjust rear?

I know 106 brakes are well known for being bad, and I'd agree with that. I

>think they're almost dangerously inadequate on my 106 XRD. Servicing seems >to make no difference. > >I read on newsgroups that frequently the automatic rear adjusters stop >working and so you have to adjust manually. > >How do you do that? > >I'm not a mechanic but I've had the back wheel off but can't figure out how >you get to the drum brakes. > >Also, on the back of the drums there's a plastic nut where the cable goes >into the housing. You can turn this and it makes some difference to the >adjustment, but seems to twist the cable at the same time and so the nut >doesn't keep in the same position as the cable twists it back again. > >On my old mini, there was a square head nut on the back of the drums that >made adjustment easy. Does the 106 have the same? > >Thanks > >Tim >

The way that Peugeot recommend, if the adjusters are working correctly, is to slacken off the handbrake adjustment, which is under the car, where the handbrake comes through the floor, then bang hard on the brake pedal a few times. If this doesn't work, and it probably won't, then the drums will have to come off, and the brakes adjusted manually. I think there are two makes of brakes, and the adjustment method is different for both. The drum comes off by removing the centre metal cap, and then the nut, which is very tight. Then tap the drum off. You shouldn't beat the drum off hard with a hammer, as there is the risk of distorting the drum, and you'll get vibrations when you use the brakes. Always use a new nut and cap (from Peugeot dealer).

Reply to
Nigel