Connect MP3 player to radio

Hi - sorry if your sick of this topic by now, I know there are about a million posts on the net by now, however:

I'm not really an electrician but I'd like to connect my mp3 player directly into my original 406 Philips 2050 radio. I was thinking I could just buy a pair of head phones and rip the actual speakers off and then connect the wires straight into the left and right audio channel pins (I realise I'd need to be able to switch between radio and mp3 somehow but I'll think about that later). Does anyone know how to identify the left/right channels, and also, do you know whether this is a completely mad idea that could never work!

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Mando

Firstly,

I think this is a mad idea. :) Sorry.

Firstly, does your car stereo have a line level input? If it does, you shodul be able to buy a device that will bring your headphone volume output to a reasonable level, fit for audio input into your stereo. Otherwise, why don't you buy yourself an FM transmittor. Apple iPods have something called an iTrip. You simply tune your radio to a station your MP3 player is tuned to. It will cost you close to nothing and the benefits are great. Bare in mind however, that audio quality is that similar to radio. You may get the odd interference, but this usually depends on the quality of the audio transmittor itself. Cheaper ones are prone to external interference.

Hope this helps Dan

Mando wrote:

Reply to
tricky4000

If the sterio has phono inputs a simple lead, 3.5mm sterio jack to 2x phono should suffice, the levels will be about right with a reasonable volume level set on the MP3 player.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Chant

There's no line level input (I assume you mean some sort of jack socket) and I don't want to go with the FM transmtter or cassette converter options. I just like the idea of going directly into the stereo and being able to control the volume from the stalk on the steering column (after I've preset the volume on the mp3). I really want to see if I can get this to work - if it goes well I'd be happy to post the steps I had to go through to get it working. I'm sure plenty of people would like to do something like this with their mp3 player.

Reply to
Mando

So you want a line level socket but there are none. Unless you are good with a soldering iron it looks like you are stuffed.

What sockets are there on the sterio?

Reply to
Peter Chant

Ebay has a lot of listing of such an item, incredibly cheap across the board, switchable between 4 frequenies, powered by 2 AAA batteries. Anyone know if these are any good..

(no, i'm not selling this item, i'm thinking of buying it).

Reply to
Tom Hawley

There are no sockets available apart from the standard sockets that take in all the usual gubbins (technical term) e.g. no composite sockets or aux input sockets apart from the one that takes the input from the cd multi changer and I don't want to go there as that's a special proprietary input plug and I wouldn't have a clue how to rig anything up for that. I could solder into the audio channel pins if anyone could tell me which pins hold which channels. Does anyone have a diagram for this radio?

Reply to
Mando

That is EXACTLY the route you should go. AUX in adapters are available for most of the main manufacturers radios and they utilise the CD multi-changer input.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Yes, Jim Mason is right. You might be able to tap straight into the proprietry sockets for your CD stacker connection to your stereo. 0 In fact, I am sure you can order a cable to connect directly into this with two rca sockets on they other end. In Australia (maybe in other parts of the world too) a company called VDO make these cables. If you can find out what that connector on the back of your stereo is called, you should be able to ask a company like VDO about this. It might be a bit hard finding it, but I bet you will if you keep looking. And yes, agree about the FM transmittor, I had one on my ipod and they're crap! Dan.

Reply to
tricky4000

And also illegal in many countries.

Jim