Pinout for Ford 2000

Does anyone know the pinout for the connectors on a "Ford Sound 2000" car radio cassette. I took it from my 1990 Sierra (along with the plugs that went into the wiring loom) when I broke it up and scrapped it recently and want to stick it in my campervan, but can't identify the wires. One connector has eight pins and this is most likely the speakers, the other connector has 7 wires, two brown wires, one red, grey, yellow and red/white. I'm tempted to connect the negative from a power supply to the radio chassis and take a chance on the red being positive, but put you never can be sure on car stuff. Might be brown?

I've tried all sorts of searches on google, but can't find anything.

Reply to
Graham

Brown is ground on old Fords.

Reply to
Conor

Took me hours to work it all out, but you were correct.

Brown to chassis/negative Red permanent 12 volt for memory Yellow = 12 volt from ignition switch Grey/yellow button illumination (fed from side lights) Red/white feed for electric car aerial

Reply to
Graham

I couldn't find the pinout Ford a Ford 2000 series radio anywhere on the net, so putting hit here for posterity in hope others can find it if searching google groups. I ended up working it all out myself, but took hours, even with my electronics experience as Ford are very strange with their colour coding.

This is for a Ford 2005, taken from a 1991 Sierra Sapphire LX. I know its the same for a Ford 2001 and 2007 radio too and no doubt many others.

Looking at back of radio. The left 7 pin socket is the power side.

Top pin is permanent 12 volts for keycode and channel memory, then: No connection

12 volt feed from ignition switch radio position (yellow) Feed for button illumination at night (feed from side lights) (Grey/Yellow) No connection Negative (Brown) Bottom pin is for 12 volt feed to electric aerial (12 volts when radio switched on) (Red/White)

The other connector (closest to side of radio) has 8 pins and is the speakers.

Top pin Left Rear + (Black/Yellow) Left Rear - (Black/White) Left Front + (Green/Yellow) Left Front - (Green/White) Rear Right + (Brown/Yellow) Rear Right - (Brown/White) Right Front + (Red/Yellow) Right Front - (Red/White) Bottom pin

The colours are for the wires going into the plugs from the car wiring loom.

Reply to
Graham

Thanks for posting this; there are a number of pinouts for Ford radios generally on-line, but the speaker connections are at variance with your findings:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Oh how useful that link would have been if I could have found it on Google. Still useful for the iso connectors though, so thanks. I have just carefully rechecked the speaker connections and for the Ford 2005 and my connections are correct for normal operation of the balance and front/rear fader controls. IE fader fully anti clockwise for front. Perhaps there were variants of connections?

Reply to
Graham