Lexus MP3 Player??

I have a MP3 player, and I also have a 96 Lexus with a dead Pioneer cd changer. Fixing or replacing the CD is expensive, and I use MP3s most of the time
anyway.
I player with both FM and tape player hookups to play MP3 and Walkman CD into the Lexus system, but both of these lack the quality I am used to in this car. The factory amp and speakers are great.
Would it be possible to trace where the tape player (which I never used) feed to the amp, cut the connection to the tape player and splice in a cable that would plug into my MP3 or Walkman or laptop? With any luck all I would have to do is turn on the MP3 and select the tape on the Lexus system. Since the tape input is now wired to the MP3, that's what should play. Right? (if this works, I'd buy an Apple ipod :) Anyone ever do this, or have any idea how hard this would be to do?
I know a BMW owner with the same dead Pioneer. There must be hundreds out there with broke down high end Pioneer CD drives who would gladly sacrifice their tape player for a MP3/CD player feed. Any suggestion appreciated.
If the signal coming from the Pioneer tape deck is analog, you have a pretty good chance of pulling it off, although volume levels might be a problem. If it's digital, you are what is known as "screwed".
My suggestion: call a Lexus dealer and ask to speak to a technician and ask this question. Or call up a car audio shop and ask.
You might still have a problem with the control signals that would go to a non-esitent tape deck. If pioneer was clever enough to do error trapping of control signals not being "as expected" you are, again, "screwed".
Darned pity there is no AUX input on the head unit, no? Once had a Panasonic DVD player/radio that had a front panel input you could plug any stereo signal source into. Terrific idea. Worked great with an mp3 player.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

changer.
into
car.
feed
that
have to

tape
works,
this
there
their
http://www.blitzsafe.com
These guys carry adapters that will work for ya!
Hmmm. . . interesting site!
rgm

this
out
Looks like they only cover Lexi from 1998 on up.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."