"diesel sound" of a 1,6 petrol engine?

We have a P 307 1,6 petrol. When the outside temperature is low, the engine sounds like a diesel for the first couple of minutes - "rattleling". When the engine is warm, the engine sounds perfectly OK. It doesn´t eat oil, and the motor is only 35000 km on the speedo. Any advice/explanation? Should I worry ?

thanx Peter

Reply to
Peter

Have you checked the engine oil level recently? That rattle (if it seems to be coming from the top of the engine) might be a hydraulic tappet that's draining overnight due to a low oil level or a blockage in the oil feed to the head. They can die sometimes, especially if some work has been done to the top of the engine recently and they were allowed to drain rather than being kept in oil/diesel. Get it checked.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

thanks for the advice - but oil level is perfectly OK. The motor has had practically no oil consumption for the last 20.000 km... I wondered if the diesel sound was a common fault with this engine ? Hmm I´l ask next time it needs service "Chris Dugan" skrev i en meddelelse news:pjUjf.8212$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

Reply to
Peter

I have had a 307 1.6 since almost new its always been a bit " rattlely " on a very cold morning. This soon disappears though. 2x 405`s I had before were similar. they both achieved very high mileages with no serious problems. I have been told being an aluminium engine is causes a lot of this. A Peugeot mechanic may read this and confirm.

Reply to
chris

thanks for the answers - a high-grade oil might help - and it sure is reassuring to hear that other vehicles suffer from the same "fault" without necessarily causing problems. Peter "chris" skrev i en meddelelse news:VPydne14wMf3MQ snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk...

Reply to
Peter