Engine rotation direction

If you're (eg) setting the valve clearences or something which requires turning the engine manually, should you turn it the same way or the opposite way to its normal direction of rotation? My engine turns anticlockwise looking at the flywheel end, but haynes says to turn it clockwise *and never anticlockwise* when turning by hand, but I have something in the back of my head that engine bearings only like turning one way, am I wrong?

Cheers Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

Most engines rotate clockwise-when looking at it from the front, ie: cranshaft pulley end. The reason for turning clockwise when adjusting valve clearances,etc afaik is to take up any backlash in worn parts. Bearings can take rotation in either direction without coming to harm. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Ok, cheers dave!

Reply to