Gear Squeak

Evening,

This is rather like a thread a few up/down from here but i'm being slightly more specific.

I have a creaking gearstick (gearbox?). The creaking occurs mostly when crawling, but its there at speed too.

I can provoke into happening often by abruptly accelerating or lifting off the accelerator pedal quickly. I didn't think it was the gears for a while but in the right circumstances I can hear it when moving the gearstick with the clutch pedal depressed (naturally) and if I move it repetitively the creaking is uniform.

What is this most likely to be? I've let this go on for a while and some days its worse than others but i'm going to get a service shortly so i'd like to know what this is before I go in if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Hawley

RUBBER MOUNTS ?/

Reply to
Chris

You don't say what car it is, but either engine mountings or exhaust ring kit.

Reply to
nigel

Sorry, can't believe I did that. 306 estate, HDI.

After a bit of reading it sounds like mounts are probable, and would also probably explain a few other noises that I thought were hangovers from a possibly dodgy timing kit change I discussed a while ago, and even at a stretch a contributor to my split cat.

Any easy way for a novice to check these, and how much is it likely to cost to get them replaced?

Cheers, Tom.

Reply to
Tom Hawley

The lower one visually. Get a lever and push/pull the engine back and forth to see if there is a split in it. Easiest to change the entire mounting. You can get just the bush, but you need a press to remove and fit, and it has to be fitted a certain way to avoid vibrations.

The upper one is best checked with the metal part connecting it to the engine removed (support the engine first!!).

There is one on the gearbox, but I have never needed to change one of those.

Can't help with the prices. Best ask your dealer.

Reply to
nigel