Have Peugeot learned any lessons with the 407?

The 307 is almost famously badly built, as we all know. I wondered if Peugeot, who must be somewhat embarrassed by the 307's reputation, have made sure the 407 works properly. Any experiences so far? Should all those of us who downsized from a 406 to a 307 be hinking about upsizing?

Androo

Reply to
Androo

Hmmm. Neighbour has a 407 HDI lease car. My thought were that it was very thirsty with oil (although that may be neighbour's driving style/choice of top-up oil) and it had once set the airco to full freeze for the whole journey. After a 10 min stop it sorted itself out, but that doesn't help when on your way to a customer and you're late.

Gerd.

Reply to
Gerd Busker

I took delivery of a 407 SW 2.0 Hdi about 3 weeks ago. Initial impressions are

1) *MUCH* better built than my previous 406 estate with the quality of materials for the dash/facia/door trim far higher than the GLX model I had. I think it is now on a par with the likes of Saab/Volvo 2) Far quieter than the 406 and my experience with 307s suggest that it is far quieter than those as well. 3) Everything is working properly (well everything that I have tried so far - it comes with many 'toys') 4) No signs of sloppy workmanship when I took delivery (eg some bits left inside such as pieces of carpet/screws) 5) The confidence it gives you as you drive it quickly is remarkable, with a really good feel from the steering and its handling is the best I have experienced in this class of car. 6) Definitely less boot space than the 406 estate - I'm told its is on a par with the 307 Estate - no bigger! 7) Early days yet but I think it will not be as fuel efficient as my 406 hdi was.

Overall though I an very happy with it and it still gets admiring glances as I drive around (and that Glass roof is great)!

Reply to
Foo Foo Barney

All this is very interesting. I am thinking about a 407 for my next car. (Why does my local Peugeot dealer insist on asking me wether or not I am looking for a company car, it is perhaps a bit off-putting to a potential private buyer).

I haven't driven one yet and won't buy from there unless he can improve his prices a lot. But I am certainly interested to hear of people's experiences with this car.

I was worried about rear headroom, but took along a tape measure last time I had a look, and I don't think it is any worse than my 306 or a friend's Passat. Has anybody tried to carry a six footer in the back, since this is something I need to do regularly.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

"it had once set the airco to full freeze for the whole journey. After a 10 min stop it sorted itself out,"

That sound just like the problem the problem a few 307's had from new ( 2 out 3 in our company) with a faulty fan/sensor which pulls air from cabin thru a small grille

As per Item 2 in my earlier post

only_me

Have test driven the 407 (think it was SE spec) about 5 months with a semi automatic gearbox with a sport mode. It was a 2 litre petrol and it handled very well, although a bit too 'stiff' for my liking I still prefer the 406's softer ride.

I'm 6' 3" and had no real issues with the rear headroom. Would agree that the all round build quality is much improved on 406, but then the 406 is a much older car produced in much larger numbers. Therein lies your problem if you want a 407, there's not many about yet and they're getting good write-ups and so people are buying them at top ticket prices. Brother in law is a Peugeot salesman and he can't get me any sort of deal on a 407, he's had to give up his company 407 because someone wanted to pay over the odds for it.

I think if you want a good deal on a year old 407 at a reasonable price its 18 months away from now.

Reply to
Longshot

It'll polly have to be a new one tehn! Ouch!

Why, if "Playtime is over" does the 407 have so many toys? :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Dixon

To take your mind off the hard ride ;-)