Peugeot clutch problems

I have posted about this matter before but, with the benefit of five years hindsight, I feel that it is worth repeating for the benefit of anyone with clutch troubles. (I can assure you that I have absolutely no connection with the firm mentioned below other than a reliably good job carried out at a reasonable price.)

In the year 2000 I suspected that the clutch on my 406 was playing up and called in at the dealers to confirm my fears.

The tester assured me that it would indeed need replacing but declined to give a figure for carrying out the work.

I was somewhat surprised but on pressing him he said that it was impossible to estimate because they never knew what troubles they might encounter once they had started.

Again, I expressed my surprise because I was under the impression that there were official prices for all work, on the understanding that any unforeseen troubles would be added to the final bill.

Once more he refused to commit himself saying that I might get it done elsewhere for less but I should remember that, if they did the work, I could be assured that only genuine Peugeot parts would be fitted.

My response was that this was a job they must be doing almost weekly, so he decided that he would estimate a price of between £350 and $400. (Year

2000).

I thought this was excessive so I went home and looked in the Yellow Pages to see if I could find another local garage for a quote. The ad for 'Clutch Point' interested me, so I went along for a quote. It was a local garage who were a franchise for Borg and Beck clutches and they quoted me £200 plus a 'lifetime' guarantee.

The guarantee was, that so long as I had the clutch checked once a year it would be replaced free at any of B&B's clutch dealers as long as I kept the car. (That is a good investment for me, who is retired and not likely to change cars very often!). (The inspection is free and takes literally two minutes.)

I am just about to trip off and have my next check done and I am pleased to say the clutch is perfect after five years and 40,000 miles. And I repeat, I have no connection with B&B - or Peugeot!

Eric

Reply to
Cire

A few weeks ago, I lost the clutch on my 307 HDI, in the end the dealer ended up changing the clutch and _the flywheel_?!? and a few other bits and pieces. Luckily it had 5 days left of it's warranty, and they didn't flinch at doing it under warranty either.

So you comment makes me wonder if there is a known problem somewhere.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead