SYNCHROMESH

All of you talking about 'grinding-sound' when are synchro ring fail. Just to know, is it this 'grinding' clasic grinding wich we hear when try change gear without clutch, or some other sounds we can hear. I have trouble with my car 406 1.8 16v 98' 62000km, but I am not sure wich part of my car is fail. Try to recognize is the clutch or synchro. I supose that synpthom are simillar. What you think??? Sory for my bad english, I hope you are understending me!

Reply to
picko

Yes. It's due to the mismatch of the speeds of the various components in the gearbox and come from the same components.

I'm sure someone will come along with a better answer than mine soon. What I would do is; with the car standing still, press the clutch, wait for a few seconds and then try to engage a gear. If you get a grinding noise then the clutch isn't disengaging properly. The car may even jerk forwards slightly. If the grinding noise only happens when you are moving then it's more likely to be the syncro/gearbox. But I could be wrong.

Reply to
Malc