Help with my W reg 206 (Head unit & speaker question)

Hi there.

I?m considering buying a new panasonic head unit within the next few days. I have however a few concerns:

First of all, this may sound stupid but how on earth do you get the current head unit out? I?m not sure of the make but it?s a very poor unit with tape player inbuilt and not many features.

Will it be simple to put a new head unit in? As in a matter of putting cables in the right place?

And also, If it doesn?t sound at its best, I will replace the speakers in the front of the car. However they?re behind a plastic panel. What inch speakers are these and are they also easy to replace?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
joshuasugarman

Buy the removal keys from your local Car Audio store. Stick them in the holes. Pull the unit out.

Yes and Yes. Don't forget you'll need the appropriate ISO adapters and Facia Plate - buy them from

- it looks like there are HEAPS of different types, so you may want to drop them an E-Mail first to confirm you're getting the right bits !

Take the panel off and look :)

Yes. Again, take the panel off and look :)

Reply to
Nom

Hi,

The simplest method. I guess they are 130mm (5" or so). You may find the info on some speakers' boxes (Pionneer for example).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Not about the 206, no. But I did need an ISO adaptor for my Coupe.

They use ISO blocks, but they don't wire them correctly !

On my 2001 406 Coupe, the +12v ignition was connected to the dimmer-line (so the headunit thought the lights were permanently on, and dimmed it's screen appropriately) etc.

See my guide at

Either an Autoleads PC2-74-4 or an Autoleads PC2-74-4 is required.

Reply to
Nom

Ni Nom,

Ok. True I never wanted to remove my parents' 206 headunit (factory-fit RD3).

Errrr... True sometimes they're a bit messing around :-)

It's great fun to see such things. On my '93 205 (non-ISO) I bought an ISO adaptor to fit an old Blaupunkt headunit (ACR2321, IIRC) which worked fine (I mean, until it began eating my tapes), but my Kenwood headunit said "no" 'cause the permanent +12V was badly wired on the radio side. My point here is, it could well come from the radio's manufacturer, considering I had this case once.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Well in this case, it doesn't.

The 2001 406 Coupe *does* use ISO blocks, and they *are* wired wrongly.

Autoleads will sell you a

to correct the problem :)

Having looked a bit closer, I don't think the same applies to the 206 - Autoleads don't seem to sell any harness adapters for it, so they probably aren't required :)

Reply to
Nom

Hi,

No, but a ride to the closest Pug dealer is necessary eh eh... Good ole BSI needs to know :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T