Incorrect Fuel Reading

Hi, I have a 2005 206 HDI and I have noticed that if I full the tank and the current capacity is around the 3/4 tank mark, the needle does not move to the full mark, it stays at the same position prior to me filling up & the on board computer does not register or extend /adjust the 'distance to next refuel' reading. However, if I fill up whilst the tank is empty, then it moves to the full mark and then the on board computer registers the fll tank. When I fill my tank, i full it right to the top.

Is this normal on a Peugeot?

Rgs, David Reid

Reply to
David Reid

I wouldn't have thought that was normal behaviour, no. Sounds like you need a software update. There were some Volvos that did the same thing and I know Vauxhall/Opel have had problems with the gauges on Astras of late too.

Reply to
Matt

I have the same on my 407. I found that it has to do with the car keys. Leave the car keys in (say to have the stereo on for your other half whilst you fill up) but with the engine off, and it does not register. You have to turn the car off and remove the keys, then it re-registers the correct fuel.

Reply to
jaffa_brown

When I first get into my 406 2.1td which is parked on a perfectly flat piece of concrete behind the house, it registers 1 level and as I drive it can go down by as much as quarter of a tank. There could be a fault but I'd hazard a guess at it being normal.

Reply to
Michael Shaw

I've just noticed that in mine. Half a tank when I get in and about an eighth of a tank less 50 yards down the road. Only since the cold weather if tht has any bearing.

Reply to
malc

Hi,

Err not having a 406 myself (a friend of mine's got a NavTec edition, HDI110, but I haven't been playing with, just some rides as a passenger), I noticed almost the same thing with my 206 : the fuel gauge may suddenly drop down, but not more than 1/8 scale at a time... but the overall reading is almost good. Once I've been driving 955km before refuelling (spelling : 1 or 2 L ?), the gauge was down, almost on the 0. No fuel light, no warning on the computer (which exists, the previous owner has done it once), which went as low as

125km. Refilled the tank back to full, the needle has gone back to the 1 mark as soon as I turned ignition on again, the computer needed half a mile or so.

By the cold weather we have these days (and some black ice is forecasted for tomorrow, it will rock on my way to work), I noticed nothing wrong on the clocks or electronics. Lower MPG caused by the huuuuuge extra distance needed to warm up, as usual.

Considering the 206s, it seems that the early ones had this kind of problem, remaining almost full on the clock with an empty tank.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

In news:fJ48l.4109$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe28.ams,

{Top posting corrected]

: >> Is this normal on a Peugeot? : : When I first get into my 406 2.1td which is parked on a perfectly flat : piece of concrete behind the house, it registers 1 level and as I : drive it can go down by as much as quarter of a tank. There could be : a fault but I'd hazard a guess at it being normal.

I have a similar problem with my 2007 307. Even if I fill the tank so as to almost spill out of the filler it still never registers full on the gauge (the needle stops at about one graduation off the full mark). The onboard computer seems fairly accurate with regard to distance to next refuel though, but I've never tested it ;-)

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones