[OT] Racing 205 Diesel

Hello there,

I was out on the Web, and looked at the Gumball3000 site

so far the most amazing race I've ever seen. I dropped them a line asking if it was possible to run with a 205 Diesel, and here's what they said : "We would consider taking a 205 Diesel on the rally, please complete the application form online at
and someone from the HQ will be in contact with you." But, what could do a 205D racing a Ferrari 360, a Porsche 996, or even a C-Class Merc ? Nothing :-)

Eh eh, it could be fun, even if I'd probably take a DTurbo for that use... A guy here (I won't quote his name, but sure he knows who he is) talked of using a DTurbo for racing... Wanna give a try ? :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

It just so happens i picked up a 205 Dturbo at the weekend. Needs a few jobs done, but nothing too serious. Mechanically the brakes need doing as its been sat for a while, and ideally the front dampers need doing. Aesthitically it needs some new interior bits as the previous owner went a bit made with silver paint. However, it will be doing its first road rally this weekend :D

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello Carl,

You're the "guy" I was talking about :-)

Nice :-) At least as nice as unusual, wanna sign up for the Gumball3000 ? :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Yeah i guessed :)

hmmmmm, i think we may be slightly out-gunned! I do already have an intercooler and manifold lined up, but i still dont think that will quite get us up to Ferrari standards :(

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello,

Have you seen the map ? At least the last shown step (Barcelonna-Cannes) is full of tight bends, a good place to play with a powerful 205 (for example, a tuned-up DTurbo, a 1.9GTi, my friend's "fully optimized" 1.6GTi (technical data on demand), a 309GTi16 (not exported to UK, but imagine a 309GTi with the Mi16 engine, sure it rocks), lil' "sensation" car like a 405SRi (full of torque, nice indeed), the more radical Mi16, or the ultimate "road warrior"*

405T16 (the street version, I mean)). Anyway, it's an open-road rally, so with the road policy here in France, Ferrari drivers may well take some fines... and some stops where your 205 just runs on and on...

Would really be a great fun :-)

  • I know, I used the term of "road warrior" to describe the 405T16, because : -1/ 200HP delivered to the road thru 4 wheels, out of a 405, must be nice ; -2/ It's a kind of supercar, I'd even say a myth, as everybody has at least heard of it, but not many saw one (I saw one once, but I was far away) ; -3/ Last but not least, many of them were used by the french traffic police on motorways - not the case anymore, even if (at least) one was (is ?) used around Lyon to chase stolen BMWs.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Lets not forget the extra boost you get (220bhp) for something like

30seconds when you floor it!

I saw one last year. A friend spotted it, and i only saw it for a few seconds before it drove off :(

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello Carl,

I thought it was 10 seconds. It doesn't matter.

I ingored it was exported to UK. Perhaps the traffic police used it on motorways, too :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T