Any diesel experts out there?

On 21st July I set off from Cheshire for the south coast towing my caravan behind my Rover 75 CDT auto. Half way there my engine began to falter on light throttle settings and I immediately assumed that the pressure sensor in the high pressure fuel rail had failed again (it had failed the previous month and the symptoms were identical). When I got down to the South coast I immediately booked the car into the local MG/Rover dealer down there. They advised me that there was petrol in the diesel tank (despite the fact that I have fuel receipts going back for a month which clearly show that I have put nothing but diesel in the tank). The cost for draining the tank, flushing the system, replacing fuel filter, came to £343.74. This wasn't the end of it, however, because the car was no better and continued to falter and cut-out, and I had to take it back in after two days for further flushing and cleaning. This time the bill came to £142.69. A total of £486.43. On my return home I visited the filling stations where I had had my last two fill-ups and both deny any problems or other complaints. I am very suspicious about the fact that a failed pressure sensor and 'petrol in the diesel' should produce identical symptoms. The engine would accelerate smoothly and climb hills with an open throttle without falter. On idle, or a very light throttle setting, however, it would falter and 'shunt' and eventually cut out. Is this what you would expect from contaminated diesel? When I took the car back the second time I stated that I did not believe that petrol was the problem and I believed that the pressure sensor had failed again. Could they have replaced the sensor and fixed the problem but, rather than admit their mistake and refund my £343, still insisted that it was petrol (and charge me even more???!!!)I could really do with a diesel expert advising me on what symptoms to expect when petrol gets into the diesel tank.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Hi Kev

Simple answer Dont be tight and buy a real 75 next time, a v6 petrol model, not a tractor with leather seats...

Just a thought

Reply to
John.w

Don't consider myself an expert but:

I have come across petrol cars with diesel in that give very similar symptoms to what you state.

I have heard diesel engines when petrol gets into them, in my experience they rev uncontrollably.

Make of it what you will.

Reply to
Chris

Presumably, you've not tried a 75 diesel, and you have a closed mind about such things?

I don't think it even qualifies to be a thought. More a brain fart.

Reply to
DervMan

Kevin.

I feel your pain (as an ex 75 driver) however I still feel you are getting a very raw deal from the dealers for what is in essence an excellent car. £340 for draining a fuel tank is friggin extortion!

I would be willing to speak to my ex-dealer (who is very thorough and is known to MG-Rover as a top class dealer) and see if he would be able to take up your problems, however he's over this side of the country. There are two dealers near me, one would have trouble diagnosing a torn carpet, the other is great!

I guess it's going to be a Volvo V70 diesel next time then?!?

Tim

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hmmm....V70 D5.....hmmmmm...........A6 TDI much nicer.........private plate starting with A6 (not that I'm letting that cloud my judgment!).....no contest.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Actually I'm looking at the S/V60 !

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

And rather a silly one I'm afraid. Diesel Car magazine described the Rover

75 CDT as the most refined four-cylinder diesel on the market and that is certainly my experience. On the road it is considerably quieter than other comparable petrol engined cars that I have driven (probably because at 70 mph it is only 'ticking over' at 2000 rpm). My previous automatic (a 2.0 litre petrol Omega) averaged 23 mpg solo and 18 mpg when towing my caravan. My 75 auto averages 35 mpg and 28 mpg towing. When towing the caravan up steep hills the engine tone on the 75 barely changes - with my previous petrol automatics (Omega and Cavalier) the engines would be revving their guts out and making a real racket. This is my first diesel and I also used to have these prejudices. Not any more - my next car will certainly be another diesel (despite the cost of flushing contaminated systems out!)

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

I have now e-mailed Shell (It was at a Shell station that I topped up my tank with 11 litres of diesel prior to setting off for Brighton the following day). I've described the symptoms and asked them if they are compatible with petrol contamination. I'll let you know what they come back with.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

A6 better???.

V70 D5SE 163PS 0-62 9.8 top 130 CO2 177 price 26120 space 485/1641 l A6 Avant 163BHP 0-62 9.7 top 136 CO2 186 Price 28560 space 430/1590 l

Specs are remarkably similar - Volvo has additionally 17" rims, pro-logic, autochanger as standard. Audi is auto or manual at same price,

My money's with the volvo.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Drop us a line if you want a go in my S60... you'll not regret it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

A search of

shows 5 pages of them, starting at £15994 for a D5S Auto on an 02 plate (cloth, CD/Radio/Cassette, Manual seats, 16" rims) - SE if you want leather 18850 upwards on a 52 plate.

S80 drops its price faster than the S60, and you get more space for no difference in running cost

Thing is, you could get into a C70 convertible 2.4T petrol for 20k and enjoy those continental caravan trips even more with the roof down (and a petrol motor...)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Did you consider Audis? Their diesels are great. And VWs obviously. What about BMWs?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Damn you Tim, will you stop using that p word?!!

All this talk of Petrol motors makes me slightly more tempted towards an E34

525 Touring. Nearly 200bhp....nice.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not really - engine life is more about care and maintenance now, rather than stress and hammering

The 2.5TDi 5 cyl is I think the same engine as the old V70 / 850 TDi. Also a nice motor.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Petrol. It's what makes my 2.0lcar give 180bhp, a figure only just getting reached by diesels. Nope, diesel has only one edvantage, economy. And those nasty 4 cyl PD engines are just too noisy.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Another reason why I'd prefer the 5-cyl 2.5TDI engine. Also, the fuel's being pumped through at a lot lower pressure, and there's a lot less to go wrong.

I think.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Sorry Tim but I don't accept that. Yesterday I took one of the new Avensis out for a test. It was a top of the range T-Spirit - a 2.0 litre petrol auto with full leather trim etc. etc. For a start I didn't like the all-black interior - just too sombre compared to my Sandstone Beige interior on the 75. Although the car was nice around town - once we got onto the Northwich By-Pass and I got it up to 70 it was very noisy. My son has one of the previous model 2.0 litre auto Avensis and although that is quieter at speed than the new one - it's nowhere near as quiet as my

75 diesel. Multi-valve petrol engines have the power edge - but only at high revs. Most of them produce max power at around 4000 rpm which is ridiculous. Most turbo diesels produce max power at around half that - which is far more practical in 'normal' driving situations. From a standing start my 2.0 diesel 75 eats my son's Toyota 2.0 petrol for breakfast up to
  1. I've no doubt that beyond that speed he would begin to catch up - but that's no real use in today's traffic. My 75 has had its' problems but despite being a diesel it is a very quiet and refined tourer - even at 90 the engine is turning over at less that 3000 rpm. I used to say all the same things about diesels but I can't see myself going back to petrol now. Yes they are economical - but also very flexible, far better for towing, and today can be as refined as a petrol engine. Without fail, everyone I have taken for a trip in my 75 has been astonished to learn it is a diesel.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Most produce it higher than that . What's ridiculous about it?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Without fail, everyone I have taken for a trip in my 75 has been

My comment was directed at the rattly VW Pump Duse Engines which are far more noisy than the newest common rail systems like in the 75 and the Volvo.

I'm fully aware of the reality at UK legal speeds, at autobahn speeds, for one thing my 2.0 petrol has a 20mph advantage over the 75 diesel.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp