Peugeot 205 driveshaft problem

Hi

Recently my 205 1.8 turbo diesel was exhibiting the following problems:

  1. Juddering clutch in first gear
  2. A loud vibrating noise coming (I thought) from the gearbox area when I slowed down in gear. The noise would disappear when I put my foot on the accelerator again.
  3. A knocking/vibrating type of noise from the front left area when I accelerated, mainly in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear. The noise would stop if I took my foot off the accelerator.

Anyway, I put my car into the garage for them to have a look at, and the mechanic said I needed my passenger side front driveshaft renewed - the whole driveshaft including both inner and outer CV joints. To my surprise symptoms 1 and 2 above were cured which I was rather happy about. However, the knocking/vibrating noise from the passenger front area when I accelerate is still there. Before I get in touch with the garage again, has anyone got any idea what may be causing it? If it is relevant, I recently replaced my 13" steel wheels with 14" pepperpot alloys from a 1.6 205 gti but put new lower profile tyres on to get the speedo and gear ratios correct. As I said, the noise appears when I accelerate but goes away if I take my foot off the gas, and is definitely coming from the front left side.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
planetman

Might be worth checking your engine mountings??

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Cheers Bob. Are they easy to replace and costly?

Many thanks

Mark

Reply to
planetman

Hmm... had a quick look under the car this morning and there was grease splattered around the inner cv joint area. Assuming they fitted the correct part and fitted it correctly, what might cause this? I could find no holes in the cv boot. Could there be a problem where the cv joint connects to the gearbox? Excuse my ignorance but I'm no mechanic.

Mark

Reply to
planetman

It could be grease from the old driveshaft. I would have thought they would have wiped it off when they fitted the new DS. Is the grease clean or dirty?

Reply to
Phil Cook

Mark,

If you check the 205 haynes manual there's a step by step guide to replacing the engine mounts. It's actually quite a lot of work, so it's worth checking the condition of the mounts first (fraying or wear to the black rubber). Also grip your engine and try to push it backwards and forwards and side to side.

The lower left hand side suggests the gearbox mount (the lower engine mount).

Other thing to have checked is the nearside wheel bearing.

Either way parts (mount or bearing) are about =A310-15.

Good luck, John

Reply to
maxthepug

Return the car back to the place that done the driveshaft and ask them to clean there mess up under by the wheel,we would not send a car out unless it has been cleaned after we do a job.is it a good garage or a back street place? but get it cleaned off or it could end up on your discs and pads, and you dont want that to happen do you? from chris Addlestone.

Reply to
Chris

Like John said its a lot of work todo ,but if you take your time you can do it .

Reply to
Chris

"maxthepug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Could also be the bottom torsion control arm bushes, best fixed by replacing the whole arm, not just the bushes. Takes less time to do cos replacing the bushes is a pain.

Reply to
Tunku

Thanks for all the replies folks.

The grease is new and is definitely from the new driveshaft inner cv boot, and I'm pretty sure it will have happened since I had the car back. The garage is quite reputable and not a back-street one. It's getting out somehow though I'm not sure how. The gearbox mount sounds quite feasible (might explain the grease getting out) and I'll get them to check the wheel bearing and bottom torsion control arm bushes too.

Many thanks

Mark

Reply to
planetman

the main thing is are the boot clips done up tight? because if not u get little come out of them also check that the boot is still in place. chris Addlestone.

Reply to
Chris