Pug 306 1.4 1998/S valve clearances

Can anyone confirm if the Pug 306 1.4 1998/S engine has valve clearances which can be adjusted, and what the syptoms of incorrect clearances would be?

The engine does appear to idle a little lumpily at times (nothing serious, but enough to notice if looking for it). Its done 88k miles. There's also a strange knocking/rattling sound which comes more apparent at certain revs (just under 2k rpm I think).

During the last MOT, the invoice did have "sounds like a hydrolic valve lifter is playing up - might want to get it looked at" noted under Customer Comments. Would this be what they were talking about?

I've looked at the Haynes manual and it seems that adjusting the valve clearances seems an easy job as nothing major has to be removed to do it (just the very top cover).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

yes these valve clearances are manually adjustable. if gap is too tight it will struggle to idle, if to wide then it will sound "tappy" steve.

Reply to
anon

its easy to take the top cover off, but hard to get a feel for if the valve is set properly.

tight fit/sliding fit/snug fit of feeler gauge are difficult to interpret. i felt confident after a mechanic showed me how he does it.

before you change any settings, spend a few minutes with the feeler gauge and try to memorize exactly (with copious notes) how tight each valve is currently so you will be able to change them back if it doesnt turn out good.

also tough is how to tighten nuts without changing the gap. the first time i tried this took me around half a day to get the settings right to what i wanted them.

Reply to
beerismygas