Peugeot 405 real wheel slanting

I have a 1994 Peugeot 405 estate (250,000 miles) and the n/s rear wheel is slanting out at the bottom. Local garage is talking about the rear axle needing replacing. I'm not convinced. May just be a problem with the bearings or bushes?

Anyone seen this? Anyone got any advice?

Otherwise, I fear it's curtains for the car. Shame, it's been a good'un.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Newton

What rear axle? Have you or the garage looked under the car?

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE

bearing between rear arm and rear axle is worn usually it collapses and knackers both parts easier to try and source another axle from a scrappy

Reply to
mindwipe

Seconded - I had a friend with exactly the same issue.

Reply to
Nom

OK, so now I'm confused. The 405 estate doesn't look like it has a rear axle. What am I missing here? I'll disassemble it all tomorrow and see what looks like it's broken.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

It's fallen off!

No, there isn't a beam axle, but there's still a little axle (stub axle?) connected to the suspension arm that the wheel sits on.

Androo

Reply to
Androo

Hi

Good luck with taking the rear arm off, Its not a job I would wish on anyone!

It would be far easier & a lot less stress for yourself to get hold of another decent rear beam assembly & swop the whole lot over.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com

I agree whole-heartedly. It's not a nice job in the garage on a ramp with all the facilities. Everything seems to be seized and you're forever beating things with a hammer!! Get another one either from a scrappy or from SSP Engineering and swop over.

Reply to
Nigel

Yep - as I keep saying (and have no connection with them other than they fixed mine) see

Also shows the whole assembly. Better than trashing the car if it otherwise works well. For the money a complete swap seems simpler than trying to fix sides ... unless I'm told you have the gear and presses needed to change the bearings which are often corroded in.

I think 405 estates normally have a bit of slant (and maybe toe in) probably for stability ... but if it's gone further you really notice it.

If it helps I had the rear suspension of my 405 turboD estate replaced by this company last summer and all seems well. They'll sell the assembly or it's a hack to near Honiton. Strange place out in the country ... but they do seem to know what they're doing. Cheers.

Reply to
Wichita

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Didn't get to investigate over the weekend as I'd hoped. But the consensus seems to be to replace the whole assembly. It needs new tyres & brakes at the back too, so I've just got to work out whether it's worth spending £400-500 quid on a 250,000 mile, L-reg

405 estate. Mmm, might contact a local scrappy tomorrow to see whether they've got a 405 I could take a rear assembly from. Does anyone know whether the estate has the same rear assembly as the saloon, or am I looking only at estates?

Graham

Reply to
Graham Newton

At 250,000 miles, options can include buying lower mileage 405 estate within your budget.

Reply to
Wichita

Hi

Theres 3 different types of rear axle listed for the estate.

Theres a normal set up, Theres a firm set up & theres also a heavy duty setup.

Some, but not all of the rear axle assy are the same as the saloon.

Make sure you check if you have disc or drum brakes on the back & also if you have ABS fitted.

Reply to
Lee Power via CarKB.com