Peugeot 405 Speedometer Drive

Simple, unfortunately not when the car is a 405Grx4!!!

The speedo hasn't worked since I've had the car. It has always been my intent to get the speedo working and last weekend was the catalyst.

I had a water leak in a heater hose that ran behind the engine. To make access easy I removed the cam cover, then I could start to see the speedo drive.

On dismantling the speedo drive, the following was noted;

The speedo cable "plugs" into the ECU sensor/sender. With the sensor and speedo cable removed I could just get hold of the actual speedo drive. (The speedo cable was seized and has been replaced).

When the speedo drive had been removed from the gearbox I compared it to what had been supplied by Peugeot to the chassis number and description of the car. Not even close. I described the part to the local Peugeot dealer today - he had never seen a speedo drive like that! Can anybody in this group help??

The speedo drive looks as follows;

A steel shaft approximately 100mm long and 6mm in diameter.

15mm from the bottom of the shaft is a plastic gear with helical teeth (I assume this mates to a gear in the gearbox).

At roughly 1/3 and 2/3 the way up are plastic "collars" approximately

2mm thick. These are firmly fixed to the steel shaft.

The top of the shaft has a square hole to take the speedo cable.

(When fixed in the car, the top of the shaft also passes through the ECU speedo sensor.) I believe in this case the actual speed is not important it is just a go/no go sensor so that the fuel can be altered at idle and stationary.)

So, has anybody sen anything like this? Can you help my local Pug dealers out?

Best Regards

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard