Peugeot 406 V6 auto problem

  1. When starting to accelerate from a low speed up an incline in the road (economy mode), and just when you'd expect a gearbox to hold that gear for the climb, the auto gearbox in my car usually changes up to a higher gear. This means the resulting acceleration is very poor. It is irritating as it requires a substantial push on the accelerator to get it to change down, resulting in the opposite - too much acceleration!

  1. Still in economy mode: Often when smoothly accelerating away from the traffic lights on a flat road, the gearbox reaches and stays in 3rd gear, refusing to change up until I've exceeded the urban speed limit, usually at 60-65kph. This is embarassing if I'm driving in traffic at say 55kph, with the engine revving at over 2000rpm. It get looks from others who probably think I don't know there's another gear or two! Other times it behaves normally, apart from problem 1, that is. Any ideas?

Reply to
anvil

Switch to Sport mode.

I don't understand ?

Your engine *should* be revving over 2000rpm most of the time. The less revs you're using, the more strain is put on the big ends etc. when you accelerate, and the more coke will build up inside your engine and exhaust. Pootling around at 1500rpm all the time, isn't healthy for your car.

It all sounds perfectly healthy to me :)

Reply to
Nom

That's fine. I take your advice about coke build up etc. This is the first car greater than 2000cc, and six cylinder motor I have owned/driven so it could be that inexperience that is showing. I enjoy it immensely nevertheless.

Reply to
anvil

Also be aware that the lower your revs, the lower the oil-pressure (because the pump isn't spinning as quickly).

Engines are designed to be revved - as long as it's not bouncing off the red line all the time, then all is well :)

Reply to
Nom

I actually meant over 3000rpm while driving in urban areas at around 55

- 60kph, not 2000rpm. I agree about working an engine and not labouring it. I just wish it would start in sports mode if that's what it was in when the ignition was turned off. It defaults to economy. Gee, I'm being picky!

Reply to
anvil

Well if you plan to leave it in sports mode all the time, you'll need to tow a fuel-tanker behind you :)

For what it's worth, I've got the 210bhp XFX 3.0 lump in my 406 Coupe, but with a manual box.

Reply to
Nom

What model of tanker have you got in back?

Reply to
anvil

"" wrote: > anvil wrote: > > I actually meant over 3000rpm while driving in urban areas > at around > > 55 - 60kph, not 2000rpm. I agree about working an engine and > not > > labouring it. I just wish it would start in sports mode if > that's > > what it was in when the ignition was turned off. It defaults > to > > economy. Gee, I'm being picky! > > Well if you plan to leave it in sports mode all the time, > you'll need to tow > a fuel-tanker behind you :) > > For what it's worth, I've got the 210bhp XFX 3.0 lump in my > 406 Coupe, but > with a manual box.

Hi, I,m on the third Peugeot auto at the moment, (all 406 2000 onward)., and can state that in new condition they perform better than Vauxhall?s Omega that I had. However as they get older (150,000 miles is about the limit I think), they do suffer from these gear changing problems. I read up about the probs, and the answer seems to be, changing the 2(?) sensors in the box, re-adjusting multi-switch, clearing stored controller values. This costs about £350 from my local auto agent. The valve box(?) sometimes needs replacing, about £450. Complete box repair is £1500. All the above info is derived from my own experience and info from box repairers, and posts on internet. T.

Reply to
Tonyh

Since mine is under warranty, I think I will have a go! 130000km Thanks for this Tonyh

Reply to
anvil

Looking for a limit switch for peugeot 406 v6

Reply to
arnoldmusa953