Power intermitently dropping off - 205 diesel

Hi,

I've been having a problem with my '89 205 diesel that has been getting worse and worse. When accelerating the power keeps dropping off. It feels as if I am flicking the accelerator pedal off and back on again quickly. Then it seems to reach an upper limit and won't go any faster unless you change up a gear. Every now and again it decides that nothing is wrong and accerates perfectly normally with no problems, but this seldom lasts long!

I have tried changing the fuel filter but no improvement. Could this have something to do with the govenor or the stop solenoid?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Philip K

Reply to
Philip Koritsas

Hi,

I just removed the plunger from the solenoid to see if there was any improvement - no improvement! Unfortunately in the process I managed to lose the little spring from the solenoid so now the solenoid doesn't work too well, I'll post the bizaar details under another thread.

Having eliminated the solenoid I think there must be a leak in the fuel supply somewhere, resulting in air being drawn into the system. I primed the system using the fuel pump and the problem dissappeared immediately - only to return a short while later.

Does anyone have any tips for locating a leak, it strikes me that it will be quite difficult to find!

Thanks

Philip K

Reply to
Philip Koritsas