Re: 306DT eats fuel

my 1998 306DT eats fuel. 35mile to a gallon. tried driving like my dad as

> well as my normal use the turbo with AC on and off.. Clean filters all > round, no smoke, used injector cleaner, starts first time, plenty of power. > 48k on the clock. Can't get anywhere near 40mpg. Any ideas?

How are you driving it? Are you constantly massaging the donk, or are you on the motorway maintaining a _constant_ cruising speed?

35 mpg is quite possible! :)
Reply to
DervMan

drive it around town. 2 miles to work. trips to shops 10 miles away. no motorway.

Reply to
SimonDS

My 306 break 1.9D, with lots of stuff for my work in the trunk and using the AC runs 17 km/L (=40 mpg). I usually drive long distances on the motorway. If you drive it around town a lot, then 15 km/l (=35 mpg) is normal. If the car still eats 35 mpg on long distances on the motorway, than there must be something wrong with the engine. My previous car a

1.9D Xsara, used to run 40 mpg, but suddenly it started to run 35 mpg. Don't know what was wrong with that car, since it was a companycar I didn't care about it.

"SimonDS" schreef in bericht news:bkl9qm$sd2$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com...

Reply to
VTR16V

Driving round town, with a heavy foot, you can get it as low as 40. Driving gently around town gives about 44mpg. Driving at 80mph on the motorway gives about 47mpg, as does mixed A-road driving.

As the OP said that he has tried driving gently, 35 mpg shouldn't be possible, so there is probably something wrong. The lack of smoke suggests a leak somewhere in the fuel system.

All the best, Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

it would be healthier but we have no shower facilities at work for staff and i need to be sweet smelling in my line of work. I've tried driving rapidly as well as sedately and it made 2mpg difference. Maybe i expected too much thinking diesels were better on fuel than petrol cars.

Reply to
SimonDS

Idea 3 - Brakes binding?

If you sit the car on a flat surface, in neutral, with the handbrake off :-) does it roll easily if pushed? (It is also possible to tell by putting a hand on the centre of each wheel after a bit of a run and see if any feel hotter than the others.)

If it doesn't roll easily, and / or a wheel gets hot, then it may be worth having the brakes checked / adjusted.

Reply to
Brian Jennings

i do use the boost often so that's probably what's doing it but i've tried slow acceleration type drving too. The brakes are okay and can't see a split in any hoses. I'm thinking it's the short journey town driving that's doing it.

As for walking slowly DervMan i don't think so in the dark up a country lane with no lights (plus rain) and cycling always get you warm and sweaty. It's all up hill to work.

Simon

Reply to
SimonDS

I have an M reg 306 XLD and find it difficult to get anything less than 45 mpg under any driving condition.

Reply to
John