Re: Peugeot 405 uprated rear axle question

It's just an extra spring, over and above the torsion bars. Just pull them off. The estate already has the biggest torsions bars available. I guess that they would be handy to tow a trailer.

Reply to
yeha

Mr.Nice. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As far as handling is concerned the car oversteers when pushed; 405s that I've had previously have tended to be very neutral and well-balanced cars that have understeered (which I much prefer) when pushed. The ride seems very fiddly at below 40mph and the back end really thumps down when going over speed humps at more than about 2mph. The ride height is about 2" higher than normal but I've no idea what sort of load would be needed to level off the car (I'm 16 stone and I can't push the rear of the car down).

I'll have a go at taking them off this week and hopefully that will improve things.

Marc

Reply to
Marc Barbour

Twas Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:27:51 GMT when Marc Barbour put finger to keyboard producing:

Will you let me know how you get on with that?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mr.niceATsofthome.nethttp://community.webshots.com/user/mrnice106___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mr.Nice. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Will do.

Reply to
Marc Barbour

yeha wrote in news:g1k6kvo9f8u5g0i123vust4u2rl94pfbqc@

4ax.com:

Thanks for the advice. I just prised them off and unbolted the bracket.

Regards

Marc

Reply to
Marc Barbour

Mr.Nice. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The brackets are bolted at the top onto the bolt that comes through from the handbrake cable securing bracket and at the bottom they are a tight fit onto the rear axle and are probably gently hammered into place using a mallet - I had to lever them off this part of the axle but using less force than you would normally use to get a plastic wheel trim off. I would expect to be able to lever the springs on with a screwdriver or small crowbar - you'll probably only need something about a foot long to provide enough leverage. The top of the spring fits inside the bump stop and a plastic lower seat is provided for the spring to sit in. Without spring compressors I would imagine it would take about an hour to fit them and with the right tools next to no time at all. I would recommend spring compressors are used. I can send you pics by of the disassembled parts if you wish.

Regards

Marc

Reply to
Marc Barbour

Twas Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:09:27 GMT when Marc Barbour put finger to keyboard producing:

Pics would be appreciated. They sound easy to fit and may be just what I'm looking for. I don't drive in a manner that I would expect to be adversly affected by adding such springs and I often carry weight that lowers the suspention irritatingly low.