Re: Poor starting 406TD 1.9

i recently aquired a 1998 406TD 1.9 it also was a poor starter, i recalled we had the same problem at work with our LDV pick up truck. Changing the heat plugs solved it. With this knowledge in mind, i bought four heat plugs and waited until the next morning to fit them. Now a LDV pick up truck has got a lot of room in the engine bay, so much that you could actually have a party in there. I haven't worked on cars for over twenty years, haven't had to, been fortunate enough to have a car with the job. So you can imagine my shock and horror when i opened the bonnet and gazed despairingly at the engine. What i want to know is, has anyone actually managed to successfully change all four plugs? and if so how? Did they use a trained bionic mouse? and if they did use their hands, have they got any skin left on them. i only managed to change two, and those two made me cry like a new born baby, God knows what state i'd be in if i tried to change the other two. Does anyone know how the the professionals do it?

Reply to
swimmingbrick

had the same problem at work with our LDV pick up truck.

morning to fit them.

you could actually have a party in there.

enough to have a car with the job.

despairingly at the engine.

four plugs? and if so how?

got any skin left on them.

God knows what state i'd be in if i tried to change the other two.

Remove the straight intercooler pipe, and loosen the other one. I assume the two you need to do are the ones behind the pump? Remove the feed pipe from the filter to the pump. (Careful you don't lose the copper washers on either side of the banjo.) Then use a bent 12mm spanner to get the glow plugs out. Not easy but with a bit of patience, not too bad. Peugeot quote just over 2 hours to change the plugs.

Reply to
Nigel

recalled we had the same problem at work with our LDV pick up truck.

the next morning to fit them.

that you could actually have a party in there.

fortunate enough to have a car with the job.

despairingly at the engine.

change all four plugs? and if so how?

have they got any skin left on them.

baby, God knows what state i'd be in if i tried to change the other two.

and i got it down to an hour :-).

Reply to
mindwipe

Yep, and I can do them in about the same now!!.

Reply to
Nigel

as long as the end doesn't break off :-(

Reply to
mindwipe

Hmmm, yes, well I've never had that problem, but I've seen others do it a couple of times. Managed to get one out with an easyout, but the other was a head off job!! Customer was NOT happy, even though we gave him a big discount.

Reply to
Nigel