Why poor gas mileage?

I recently bought a used Toyota Corolla LE 2001. It's a 5speed. One of the reasons I chose this car was because of it's supposed good gas mileage. It's suppose to get in the 30s. Car has 85,000 miles on it.

Well, i've been driving it for a few months and I'm estimating it's only getting in the low 20s. I drive 20 miles back and forth to work every day (40 miles per day total). I have to fill up my tank every 6 or 7 days.

Is there something wrong with this car? Why am I not getting better gas mileage? What can I do "specifically" to get better gas mileage short of an entire "tune up". I know I can get a tune up but do you think this will dramatically increase gas mileage? I'm looking for specifics here.

Thanks!

Reply to
zansheva

When you say you're estimating it is getting in the low 20's, are you estimating miles traveled divided by gallons pumped or are you estimating based on how often you have to refill the tank? Rather than estimating fuel consumption, you should calculate and keep a record of fuel consumption over a period of several weeks. Reset your trip odometer every time you fill the tank, record the miles since the last fillup and divide by the number of gallons to fill up.

If it has a 5 speed manual transmission, I'm assuming that you are shifting according to the speed and RPM range listed in the owner's manual and not unnecessarily revving the engine or lugging it.

Are the wheels and tires the factory recommended size? Is tire pressure set to factory recommended pressure or higher?

What is the condition of the air filter?

Reply to
Ray O

Clutch is another possibility if the OP is unused to stick shift.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

In order to increase mileage, you need to know what problem is causing poor mileage in the first place. Here are some possibilities (but by no means all):

  1. Dirty/partially clogged fuel injectors
  2. Emissions control problem
  3. Really dirty air filter
  4. Ignition system problem (the tune up would likely fix this)

Since the car has 85,000 miles on it, and a lot of the gas you get today is pretty crappy, I'd probably have the injectors cleaned first. However, if you don't know when this car's last tune up was, then you should have it tuned up and have the other things I mentioned checked as well as the condition (not just the levels) of the oil, coolant and other fluids; and have the timing belt inspected as well.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

True, although I assumed that nobody *that* bad at using a manual transmission ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Lol i meant maybe they had changed from auto to manual and werent noticing the slipping of a worn clutch :-)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I'd add bottle of Chevron Techron to clean injectors. Change air filter, plugs (use OEM ones) and thermostat. Check air pressure intires (3-4 above recommended is best for better mileage).

Reply to
Wolfgang

If you don't have all the records and plan to drive this car, you should probably change all fluids, change belts and as Wolfgang suggests use the OEM plugs, Filters/injector cleaner is step two if plugs haven't been changed. Make sure plugs are correct nr & brand.

Also check the hoses!

Ron

Reply to
ron

OK, that makes sense.

Reply to
Ray O

I know nothing about fixing cars. Is there a way I can do this myself to cut costs and better identify the problem? Is there a way I can check the plugs myself? Or do I just bring it to a shop and have them do it? I'm always wary of mechanics since they never tell you the real story and I wouldn't know the difference. by the way, i'm in Chicago if anyone is here and handy with this sort of stuff.

Reply to
zansheva

Buy yourself a haynes manual for your car, make sure you get the one for your specific model/engine etc. This will cover in great detail exactly how to change the main service items and you can buy the parts from a dealer or a motor factors at a reduced price generally. That will save you teh cost of the manual to start with, and probably the cost of some of the basic tools you need too. Simple ratchet set, plug socket. Air filter can normally be done by hand or witha screwdriver, oil with a simple tool ($10).

If you get stuck or arent sure you can ask on here.

Coyoteboy

Good advice. I would also mention to zansheva that be aware that Haynes manuals are helpful for the novice, but not *nearly* as helpful as they could be. The photos are low-contrast, blurry, grainy black-and-white ones, and the instructions often assume you have a basic understanding of mechanics. If you don't have that basic understanding of the basics including some terminology, then you will have to do some hard thinking at times to figure out what they mean (or ask someone here.) Also you'll often find that *some* stuff you want to do simply isn't covered in the Haynes manual. However they are well worth it because you can get a lot of useful info from them, just don't expect a high-quality, comprehensive guide or you will be disappointed.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Where in the Chicago area are you? If you are near the northwest suburbs, I'd be willing to show you or recommend a couple of good Toyota service departments or a good independent technician.

Reply to
Ray O

Also, remove any unnecessary cargo in the car. The more stuff in the car the more weight your car has to pull. Are there any passengers you haul to/from work? Check the brakes for drag -- usually not a problem but can show up with overheating brakes. What about air conditioning -- is it turned off? Do you drive with windows open? These can add to drag. I believe someone already mentioned correct tire pressure and tire size.

Reply to
Dennis Leong

I agree, i only suggested haynes as i have experience of them from a few vehicles and found them suitable for a beginner on basic cars. My girlfriend understands them and works with me on her car. But there are better ones for more detailed info I admit, but for that vehicle i have no experience so i wont give any suggestions. For my celica I find the Chiltons very agreeable, with far more spec than Haynes.

Coyoteboy

Cool, thanks... Wow. I just checked Chilton's site, and the latest model Corolla they have a repair manual on is 1997.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Ahh well, maybe someone else can suggest a more suitable one with your model.

James

Reply to
Coyoteboy