Replace head gasket diesel 1.9 non turbo

How much to replace head gasket - much shaking of head at local garage with quote of £1000 if cylinder head has gone.

Would a head skim solve any warping?

Time quote for job would be better than just a straight labour charge - is

4.5 hours realistic for this engine?
Reply to
wains
£1000!!!!!!!!!!!! RIP OFF my local back street garage quoted £150 Head skim £25 inc vat HS & pressure test £45 inc vat Head gasket £10 oem 4 hours labour. Even a pug garage only charge £50 an hour so say £300 with parts and vat and mark up.

Simon

Reply to
Simon

how much do they charge per hour if they can quote you £150.00 ? i wouldnt expect a decent job for that sort of money, i bet it doesnt include a new cam belt, something which should be replaced every time it is disturbed or removed. having said that i would asume its all under warranty, so if they honour that warranty with no quibbles then sounds like a deal to me. steve.

Reply to
steve

Reply to
mindwipe

A very reasonable £25 per hour. Not the dealer £50 we have huge profit margins per hour.

Not on Pugs and the belt change is the price of the belt! £9 for pug one in a oem box, £25 in a pug box.

Reply to
Simon

I don't work for a pug dealer so i don't know if they specify a new belt each time the old one is removed, however if they don't then i find that extremely naieve, i wouldn't dream of refitting a used belt, but like i said i don't work for the french. insist on a new one every time unless they will pay for the damage cause by a broken belt.

Reply to
steve

so the bottom line is pay around £350 including new belt and skim. £200 is more reasonable if you know a good local 'backstreet' garage. Head gaskets aren't rocket science. I did my wives Punto last week. Took 4 hours and the complete head kit was £50 which included new head bolts, oil seals, valve stem seals, inlet & outlet manifold gaskets etc etc.Of course you don't need all these. I only bought new bolts as the head had been removed before. (that's another story) The cam belt was £10 so labour 4hrs @ £50 = £200 (dealer price) Parts: Belt @ £8 Head Set @ £40 Skim @ £21 TOTAL : £269 + VAT (£316)

Reply to
Simon

i mean wifes not wives, one is enough!

Reply to
Simon

I replaced my own head gasket on my 309. I started off by having the head skimmed but it quickly re-blew the gasket. This I was later told was due to the compression being altere id the engine. I aqured another head from a know good engine in a breakers yard for £50. I fitted this in about 4hrs and drove the car for 5000 miles and sold it. It is still being ran by somebody now and we have both had no more hassle with it.

Reply to
col_mortimer