2003 406 HDI 90 White Smoke when ideling

Hi,

My Peugeot 2003 406 HDI 90 broke down on the motorway. I was doing

80mph and then the throttle got stuck. I put the car in to neutral to slow it down but the Revs maxed out and loads of Black smoke was coming out of the exhaust pipe when i looked in the rear view mirror.

I managed to get on the hard shoulder....the AA recovered the vechie and dropeed it back home.

Now when I start the car it starts but loads of white smoke comes out the exhaust?

I have not driven the car since and was wondering if anyone can suggest what might be the problem before I get it looked at?

Thanks

Nav

Reply to
navjotg

A new pope? ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't leave it...

Grtz, Eric B.

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
pastis

Dont sound good to me.but is the lump using any water and oil when start up? i think i would let it tick over in the drive to see what happens.but first check the water and oil.

Reply to
Chrs

Lots of white smoke out of the exhaust can be the sign of a blown head gasket. Check the radiator level and if it has gone down it might be an idea not to try to start the car - a cylinder full of water isn't very compressible!

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

How much would a head gasket replacement cost?

Reply to
navjotg

do it yourself cheaper. chris addlestone surrey

Reply to
Chrs

I am not techincally gifted enough to do it, I dont to be ripped off so what kind of price would be reasonable?

Nav

Reply to
navjotg

Ring round, and see what you get quoted.

Reply to
Chrs

Good question, it all depends on what damage has been done, its a good bet that if the head gasket has gone then the head will need to skimmed for starters. If you have a good local independent garage that you trust ,then they should be able to give you an accurate price after a look at the engine and for the cost of an hours labour. I would take a guess at around £250 minimum to replace a head gasket and skim the head. As said earlier, if you think its a head gasket then don't run the engine, if you do it could go from a do able job to completely destroyed the engine.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

You also have to find out what happened in the first place, when the revs climbed.

Reply to
Brian

What probably happened is that it was overfilled with oil and oil has found its way into the intercooler pipes and then into the inlet manifold, The engine will run on oil and as you have no control over the entry of oil, the revs will rise beyond the red line. If not caught in time major damage will be done, and in some cases destruction of the engine ie pistons through the crankcase. So I would get some professional advice before doing the head gasket.

Reply to
Nigel

This happened to my old LR Discovery 300tdi, it was not over filled with old , but they do have a design fault so its quite common for the turbo to suck up the sump oil and hit amazing RPM for a diesel, mine did just this and went right round off the rev gauge while I stood next to it with the key out of the ignition .Quite quickly the whole car filled with white smoke along with the rest of the street. I have never heard an engine rev this high and then the sound of the total internal destruction of the engine at it finally stops, took about 10 seconds in total.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Over filling with oil sounds like a probable cause! I toped up the oil as the indicator was showing low oil. I am towing the car to a local independent garage and will know more regarding the extent of the damage later this week. I will update you guys on the findings. Thanks for the feedback.

Nav

Reply to
navjotg