Sheared 406 plug !

you could guess the language i was shouting ! On Hols next saturday, thought i will change the plugs on the 406 2L '99. Damn & ^&*^% Sheared one plug at the edge of the head undoing the thing, down a hole ! (&(*&&^

As far as I can see, there is no way to get at it & I dont want broken bits of ceramic in the cylinder. Looks like a head off job. Dammit.

Am I right ?

Reply to
Juper Wort

Can you still get the plug socket on to any of the plug?(nut)if you can soak it with wd40 over night and by the evening you should be able to remove it(do it up a little just to crack the thread)

Reply to
Chrs

Sheared at start of threads. I have the bit down to nut in my hands !

Reply to
Juper Wort

can you get a punch in there and tap it round,or force somthing into the plug whats left of it and try and turn it out.

Reply to
Chrs

On a 406? I doubt if I could get a pair of snipe nose pliers on the plugs in mine (2l 16V)!

Reply to
Malc

It sounds like a nightmare scenario, if it was so tight it sheared off at the threads, it's unlikely to want to tap out and as previously stated they aren't the worlds most accessible. Any kind of stud extractor inside runs the risk of ceramic & ctr electrode into the combustion chamber. The only good side I can see is it's not my car(!) The only possibility that springs to mind is freezing the remains of the plug itself, which may shrink it enough get it to turn. (TV shop freezer cans will theoreticaly get it down to -40DegC if liquid Nitrogen isn't available)

Djimbo.

Reply to
djimbo

Its booked at at a motor engineers. head off job. Will get head skimmed & cambelt done whilst in there. dammit

Reply to
juperwort

Might be worth thinking about replacing the water pump while your at it. People on here seem to think it best to do it at the same time as the belt.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

More bloody money hahahaha just because of a spark plug..

Reply to
Chrs