Which way to undo 20 wheel nuts?

Which way (clockwise or anti clockwise) is it to undo wheel nuts (nearside and offside) on a Y reg 206 1.4? I've already found the trick where the head bends on the supplied wrench BTW

TIA

Reply to
Wanderer

Subject should be 206. Sorry

Reply to
Wanderer

They are all conventional thread since there aren't any rotational forces to counteract, the wheel is stationary with respect to the hub. So it is anti-clock to undo.

Do yourself a favour and get a decent spider or other "tool suitable for the job" to undo them. I once had to resort to adding a short length of scaffold pole to undo my wheel bolts after some numpty at a tyre place had done them up too tight. :-(

Reply to
Phil Cook

Thanks Phil, I gave up and put it in a tyre place. I wouldn't have undone them in a Million years. I'll take your advise and find a spider spanner for the boot but I'm GF covered so won't worry too much.

Seems a dirty trick to me if it is done deliberately and I'd fear for the bolt heads being sheared off by such over tightening.

Regards

Reply to
Wanderer

I found the supplied wheel brace appeared to be made of cheese on my 406. I was caught out when the pad wear indicator came on half way from Gloucester to Liverpool recently. I had to buy a spider as well as the pads when I got there.

It's ok being GF covered but you can change a wheel in about 10 minutes but GF could take an hour to get to you.

Reply to
Malc

On "normal" cars I guess they all are standard threaded bolts. But I remember that when I was in the (Belgian) army they had left and right turning bolts, depending on which side of the truck the weel was fixed!! So there really seems to be a "rotational force"...

Grtz, Eric B.

Reply to
pastis

Whenever I get a new(er) car, the first thing I do is to take off all the wheel bolts, one at a time, put copperease on the threads and do them up again with my socket set, so that I KNOW that I will always be able to undo them by the roadside. With copperease on the treads you can probably get the bolt tighter with less force than with the normally dry rusty thread.

Reply to
Brian

Personal preference is for a telescopic wheelbrace - often easier to stow and I've never met a wheelnut I couldn't undo with it. I have bent a couple of spiders and had to use a garden fork to turn another.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Chris Hodges wrote: I have bent a