Ventilation Recirculator

Are any of you good folk familiar with the 406 (1999) ventilation system. I have noticed that the motor operating the recirculation flap/valve/whatever runs continuously and, when it is set to permit air from outside, there is also a regular clicking sound. My assumption is that the motor should turn off when the valve/flap/whatever reaches the required position (i.e. open or closed) but the turn off bit does not seem to be happening. Can anyone tell me what is likely to cause this and how difficult it is (indeed how) to fix it. Needless to say there is zilch about this in the Haynes manual.

Many thanks,

Keith Willcocks

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Quite a common thing. The recirc motor requires renewing. It's held in by two screws, but getting to it is not easy. Remove the panel on the end of the dash (just lever it off) and the trim panel under the glovebox. Lever out the passenger air vent and gently manoever the air duct out. Then you can just see the motor at the top of the heater. Just. Then before you disconnect it, turn the ignition on and let the motor work one way or the other. If you look on the new motor, you will see an arrow on the wheel. Try and get the old motor in the same position. When it's there turn off the ignition. Disconnect the electrical connector (follow the wire down from the motor) and remove the screws (you will need a stubby cross head screwdriver). Put the new one in the same position and replace the screws and plug it in. Test it before you put everything back. Make sure the flap goes from fully open to fully closed as per the switch position (you need to remove the pollen filter to see this). Don't forget there are two types of motor depending on whether you have the standard air con, or the fully automatic type, but the method is the same. Should take around an hour to do. Good luck!!!

Reply to
Nigel

Many thanks Nigel. I will give it a go and cross my fingers (except that it would be even harder then).

I was worried that it would involve taking out the facia or something even more terrifying. You have put my mind at rest.

Regards,

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Keith,

On my daughter's 405, the flap servo motor was doing the same thing. After getting it out and dismantling it, I found a stripped gear inside the servo.

Fortunately the servo (made by Valeo) is identical to that used on the

1995-2002 Range Rover HSE which I own and on which I had recently replaced the blend flap servos. So I was able to strip an old RR servo and fit the gears into the Pug servo.

Instant fix at no cost.

The 406 uses a different servo but the problem may still be a gear.

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts