Recirculation Motor - 406

I recently asked for advice on replacing the ventilation system air recirculation motor on my 1999 406 (newer style). I have followed the advice given by "Nigel" but have run into problems.

I have prised out the end panel on the facia (the one that is only visible when the door is open) and removed the adjacent passenger ventilator and the first piece of ducting containing the flap. I have been able to disconnect the next, elbow shaped, piece of ducting from the hose but no way will it come out. I have also removed the trim beneath the glovebox, the glovebox itself and the curved black panel behind the glovebox. It is through the aperture left by this panel that I can touch, but not see, the motor. Is there something else that I need to remove? Taking out the glovebox housing would make it easy but, although I have removed the two screws inside the earlier mentioned end panel and the three screws along the top edge, it seems to be held against the side of the centre console so I assume that it will be pretty nigh impossible to take the housing out without major dismantling.

I have seen another posting on the Newsgroup by "CB" who had the same problem and has taken the motor out with no apparent difficulty. My question is, am I missing something?

Any further advice will be very gratefully received.

Keith Willcocks (remove .nospam from address to reply)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Yes, it is easier with the glovebox out, but it is not easy removing it. The screws holding it to the console ARE there but are fitted from the back. So you need to lie in the footwell with a screwdriver and feel for the screws to remove them--and putting them back is a nightmare. There is also a screw on the opposite side, which you can just see through the removed end panel, but you almost need to be double jointed to get at! Which is why I leave it in. You CAN just about see the motor through the end panel with a good light shining up from the footwell, but the fixing screws may not be visible, and need to be "felt" out. The first one I did took me 90 minutes. I can do it now in half an hour.

Reply to
Nigel

I have exactly the same problem - seems quite common - on my 1995 405 Estate. Any ideas how to access the motor on that one, without removing the whole dashboard.

TIA

Peter

Reply to
Peter Davis

I've never done it on a 405, but I believe you have to take the glovebox out to get to it. And that is a relatively easy job, compared to a 406!!

Reply to
Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for the response, I was on the right path after all. I now know what my problem was, a serious lack of youth. I probably could have got into the foot well and looked up but, had I done so, I would probably not have got out again. My son-in-law came to my rescue and has disconnected the old motor and volunteered to swap it for the replacement when it arrives.

Sincere thanks.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Damn! I've just spent nearly two hours removing torx screws from the most awkward places only to find the glovebox cove *still* attached to the centre console somewhere!!

Keith, to fix the problem with your recirculation flap screw gears, did you end up just dropping the blower unit out to get access from underneath? And if so, exactly which part is the offending unit?

Reply to
lemoncurd

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I have been away. My son-in-law removed the motor through the hole left when you remove the curved black panel behind the glove box. The glove box housing stays in place.

Put your hand in the whole and the motor is a (roughly) rectangular unit on the right with a cable coming out of one end.. If you operate the flap switch you should feel the vibration of the motor. It is secured by two cross top Pozidriv type screws on diagonally opposite corners. There is also a semicircular gear wheel that falls off as you remove it. Feel free to contact me directly if you wish.

Keith Willcocks (remove .nospam from address to reply)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message news:chmj41$hk1$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com...

I have the motor removed and have obtained a replacement but (sod's law) I have a further problem. The old motor has a large brown electrical connector and the three wires going into it are Red, Brown and Black. The new motor, which I assume is for a later model, has a smaller green connector and the wires are White (with black stripe), Yellow (with green stripe) and Orange. Obviously I can easily connect the brown connector but I do not know which colour cables to connect. Can anyone advise please. I have placed this request on both threads that are running on this subject.

Many thanks,

Keith Willcocks (remove .nospam from address to reply)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

There are two types of motor, one for ordinary a/c and one for automatic a/c. And they are NOT interchangeable.

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks Nigel. Can I be a nuisance and clarify this in my mind before I send the motor back, only the supplier did in fact ask me to confirm whether I needed the standard or automatic A/C version (I said standard). As I understand it the automatic A/C may have a sunshine sensor on top of the dashboard and (if my wife's 306 is the same) when you close the recirc flap the A/C switches on automatically and there is also an Auto position on the fan switch. My 406 has none of these features, you simply press the A/C button to switch A/C on and the Recirc switch to open/close the flap, they are totally independent. I have assumed from this that mine is standard. The motor I took off has a rectangular case held together with 4 screws which give access to the stripped gears. The replacement is the same pattern but with what I took to be a later design of case with 4 snap catches that presumably do the job of the three screws. Both have three wires as described above. Am I wrong in thinking that the replacement motor is simply a later design or is there any way that I can identify whether it is in fact the one for the automatic A/C? They are certainly interchangeable as far as fitting is concerned (other than the cable colours and connector) but I assume that is to be expected anyway. Come to think of it, am I right in my assumption that my A/C is not automatic?

I must also thank you for the help you have given me thus far, it is much appreciated.

Keith Willcocks (remove .nospam from address to reply)

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

From how you describe your setup, I reckon it is standard. The auto version has a display that you can set the temperature and it will keep it to that figure, adjusting the fan motor to suit. When I go to work tomorrow I will look up the part number of the recirc motor for the standard system and let you know. It would help if you see this message tonight (10th--it is now 22:00) to have your chassis number (VIN number) starting VF38. I'll be on till about 1 in the morning.

Reply to
Nigel

Sorry Nigel, did not see your message until Saturday. Here is the chassis number VF38BRHZE80710298 . I have spoken to the supplier of the replacement motor, a dismantler (new parts are pricey for retirees) in Norwich called Cit-Ren, and they rang back to say that they had checked two more 406's. One was standard A/C and had the same motor they sent me and the other was a 406 with climate control and that had a motor with only two wires going into it instead of three. Is it possible that the standard A/C motor was redesigned on the later version of the car. My car is an S reg and is a hybrid of the earlier and later models. Mechanically it is more like the later ones but the body was more akin to the first model. I even had to get two Haynes manuals because different parts appear in each copy.

I am off today for a week in the New Forest so will not be able to pick up any replies until next weekend anyway.

Thanks once again,

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

OK, nothing's straight forward with Peugeot, According to your chassis number it is a 1999 car, and it must be close to the changeover from D8 to D9. Anyway, this is what I found out.

D8 up to 1999. Part number 6447A5 Standard A/C (£120.27 !!!!) 6447V1 Auto A/C Up to Build Code 7888 6447CF Auto A/C From Build Code 7889

D9 from 1999 6445EK Standard A/C (£47.75) 6447CF Auto A/C

Not having any type in stock, I don't know how many wires for sure, but seem to recall the standard one has three.

To tell the difference between the D8 and the D9. Has colour coded trim on the rear lights (Saloon), honeycomb front grille and the hazard switch is next to the clock on the D9 version.

I would think yours is a D8 in which case it should have 6447A5. You could always just connect it up electrically and see if it works.

Reply to
Nigel

Hi Nigel,

That pretty well confirms my thoughts. I think mine would classify as a D8.5 as it incorporates D9 mechanics (in the main) but D8 body with odd exceptions.

I do not know whether my recirc motor is the earlier or later version as it does not seem to carry any of those numbers. I have managed to put pictures on my web space if you follow this link. Perhaps you will recognise one or the other as the later one.

snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com/Recircpics.html I have also enquired of my local Pug dealer, who has worked on my car before, but so far the silence is deafening!

Thanks again,

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I reckon you have an early type and you have purchased a late type. The connectors look completely different to me so there is no way they are interchangeable. The numbers I provided are Peugeot part numbers and wouldn't be on the motors themselves, but would be on the boxes. But as you didn't get them at a Peugeot place, that doesn't really apply. You're either going to have to get back to Cit-ren and tell them there is another type, or bite the bullet and go to your dealer! Or, if you don't use te recirc facility much, make sure the flap is closed and fix the motor back on, but don't plug it in.

Reply to
Nigel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nigel" Newsgroups: alt.autos.peugeot Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 4:24 PM Subject: Re: Recirculation Motor - 406

That's pretty much what I had guessed. I have sent the motor back to Cit-Ren with a picture of the original motor to try and match. They will credit the cost. In the mean time the ventilation is running fine with the motor removed, the flap is staying in the right position quite happily.

Thanks for your help, it has been instructive if nothing else. I shall keep an eye open for a suitable motor at my leisure.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks