Peugeot 406 Recirculation Motor / Gearbox problem

I have a Peugeot 406 Recirculation Motor / Gearbox problem, whereby the two large gears have stripped (Gears Red and Blue in the diagram at:

I am trying to find out whereI can obtain these gears from, as the £150 price tag from Peugeot seems alittle steep for two pieces of Nylon! (£150 is for a complete new unit.Peugeot Part Number: 6447A5). I am led to believe from reading previousposts:

and

and all replys, that replacement gears may be obtainable from Tamiya.

I am looking hopefully for part numbers from Tamiya and stockists in the UK, or an equivalently cheap alternative. Scrapyard search hasn't found the correct part yet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
nayulz

I was the source of one of those threads you mentioned. I did obtain a motor from a scrappie but it was the wrong one. It appears that there are two initial types, one for cars with climate control and one for those (like mine) without. I now know that the latter divides into two more motors, those fitted up to mid 1999 and those after. I assume the same may be true of the other type. The motor I got was the later one so I returned it and, at present, I am running without the motor fitted. Obviously I have to have the vent flap permanently open but, apart from the odd occasion when you are following a smelly exhaust it is fine (and decidedly cheaper).

The only thing that concerned me about getting replacement gears was that I did not know why they stripped in the first place. There is an electronic component in the unit which I suspect may be to detect increased load (i.e. when the flap reaches the end of its travel) and shut off the power. If that is its function then it could well be that new gears would strip pretty quickly.

Maybe one of the experienced guys on the group can confirm whether that is the case.

Buccaneer (formerly Keith Willcocks)

Reply to
Buccaneer

Looking quickly inside the box myself, I too, have assumed that the circuit is probably a load detecting shut-off, but I'm no expert! I thought it would at least be cheaper to replace the gears, and see what happens before having to commit to such expenditure. It is also possible that replacing the unit from Peugeot would have the same outcome. Of course there are always more scrappers to visit.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Reply to
nayulz