Water in Diesel Warning Light???? 205

morning.... ..I'm new to diesels and have been running a 1993 205 1.8 STDT for the last 6 months. I had the fuel filter changed at 82,000 and I have now done 95,000. This morning a new warning light came on which I found out was the water in diesel light and in the handbook it says that it means there is water in the fuel filter and to get it purged as soon as possible. Do I have to get a new fuel filter? what is involved in purging the existing? ..any help would be much appreciated, does it matter if I drive for another 50 miles as it is? thanks tim

Reply to
mfunsta

FOR THE PRICE OF A FILTER ITS WORTH REPLACEING.SO REPLACE IT AS SOON AS POSS.

Reply to
Chris

This is one of the more unreliable sensors that PSA use, many people just disconnect the sensor on the fuel filter. But assuming that unusually it is correct, then you might have some fuel at the bottom of the filter bowl. All you really need to do is drain the filter bowl (there should be a drain off point at the bottom somewhere, with a small pipe attached which goes down past the engine. Put something under this to catch the fuel and see if there is indeed any water there. Then you have to prime the system again and make sure you have got all the air out. You can change the filter element if you feel you should. However, if no water comes out of the filter, than you can assume it is a false alarm, so no point in worrying about the filter element.

Reply to
Brian

"mfunsta" wrote in news:1166088374.233110.178330@

16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

My 205D does it all the time. No water visible. I think it's just exercising the light so I ignore it. :-)

Reply to
Tunku