VW Emissions warning light

VW 1.6TDI Car has 10000 on clock.

The orange emissions warning light has come on. The car is driving fine but is a tad down on its usual MPG.

I've got it booked in for its first service in two weeks. Is it ok to drive like this for now?

Also with the car in neutral the rev counter won't go any higher than

2500 RPM no matter how hard the accelerator is pressed but on the road revs go as high as they should. Is this part of the fault that has brought the warning light up or is this correct?
Reply to
Derek

Sounds awfully like the problem posted with the Peugeot recently. My money is on a partially blocked DPF (diesel particulate filter).

Have you being doing lots of short journeys with no longer ones when the filter can regenerate? Check your handbook, it should tell you how to manage your DPF.

Personally, I wouldn't wait for the service if you can't clear it with a long drive but again, your handbook will advise.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks Tim, yes it is only used as a shopping wagon so very few long journeys. I'm also a plodalong driver who drives by the consumption meter.

I did try opening it up today for a few miles but it made no difference. The light stays on.

From what I can read this does indeed seem to be a bugbear with using diesel engines in cars.

Where is the DPF and what does it look like? Apart from a 200 mile run is there any way I can clean it myself although the car is under warranty.

Reply to
Derek

I had a Merc many years ago that had a rev limiter at 4k below about 5mph, then it would rev to the red line. I think it's called 'launch control' these days.

Reply to
Eiron

A car with a DPF is totally unsuited to you then. Or possibly any diesel.

There were so many warranty calls for DPF issues that VW insists dealers advise potential buyers of the problem. If you bought new, did this happen?

Well, only those with a DPF...

There's no way, other than the handbook method, to clean it. You need to address the problem ASAP; if you continue to drive it with the light on (and it is a partially blocked DPF) it will eventually stop. The warranty

*may* not cover subsequent repairs.

If it can't be cleared, the first step at the dealers will be to plug it in to a computer, and run a re-gen program. This basically revs the nuts off it in a sequence for about 20 minutes. If *that* fails, a new filter will be needed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hmm, a modern diesel is not the car for you then.

What does the manual say? I would guess it'll take more than a few miles but I think that a dealer visit is on e cards.

Only if they're driven inappropriately for a DPF equipped car.

It's usually a canister in the exhaust system between the manifold and the catalytic converter.

No. The warranty my not cover you if you've not driven the car as per instructions and obeyed the appropriate dash lights. A DPF equipped car just isn't suitable for short trips only.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Have a look at this. May explain a few things.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yep or clutch save on a manual :)

Reply to
Redstar

And yet more here. Scroll down for the VW info.

Have you been driving with a flashing warning light?

This is such a predictable problem that your should have been advised about it at the time of purchase. If you advised the salesman of of your driving pattern then you shouldn't have been sold the car so you may have reasonable grounds for repair under warranty (if needed) or grounds to reject the car. If you didn't advise them of your journey type then I'm afraid you might just have to take it on the chin (and consider changing your car).

Of course, it may not be the DPF but my money is on it being the problem, especially given your driving pattern.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My Mazda says in the handbook that a 20 minute drive at 60mph or more and

2000 revs will do the trick. Which means 5th gear or 70 odd mph in 6th.
Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Check your brake lights. Suspect the brake light switch, perhaps the brake bulbs.

The real answer, of course, is "get it scanned with VCDS".

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Of course there may be an issue other than a fully laiden DPF.... But, as the light is steady and NOT flashing, you may be able to persuade it to invoke an active regen by driving the car as per the book- which is generally 4th gear and over 2500rpm for 20-30 mins i.e. a motorway run.

If no change then take it into the dealers.

Reply to
Tim

This is normal - its there to fox the MOT smoke meter - i kid you not!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim

Actually I stated the wrong warning light. The one that is on is the one that looks like an engine/gearbox and is called 'Emission warning light' in the owners manual. I think it means the same thing though that the car has or had an emission control problem.

It did do this once before but the light only stayed on for a day before I could get the car to VW.

I took it for a run last night for half hour holding it at 3.5k revs @

50MPH(ish) in third gear and it ran as good as it usually does with all of its usual ooomph and returned around 45MPG but the light stubbornly stays on. No exhaust smoke at all.

I read that a steady light indicates a fault that has cleared and a flashing light means that the fault is current. Is this correct?

The 2.5k rev limit bit in neutral does seem to be part of the cars design but nowhere does VW tell the owner about it. I vaugely remember owning a car donkeys years back that had a centrifugal device in the distributor cap that did the same thing shorting out the spark if the engine was revved too high. It might have been a Ford?

Anyway it's booked into VW but I can't get it in until the 16 July so I won't be using it until VW read the codes off and I get an idea what has happened. If it is a lack of use then I'll have to look for a petrol car.

Reply to
Derek

I think it depends. Older cars used the glowplug light to show an engine ECU error.

Not sure TBH.

All the VAG TDIs I've had (4 now) do this, but only if the brake pedal is held, hence my suggestion to check the brake lights.

[snip]

If you ask on a friendly VW/Seat/Skoda/Audi forum someone ill usually scan it for free or a beer or two.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That would have been useful when I drove the new Focus for a week or two; I missed a gear a couple of times and the revs were too close to the red for comfort.

Reply to
Gordon H

ITYF that anything even vaguely modern has far more in the way of over- rev protection built into the ECU than a spring-loaded rotor arm ever managed...

Reply to
Adrian

:-)

Reply to
Gordon H

I don't believe it. I had to use the car today to get the kids and somewhere along the journey (14 miles) the light has gone off again!

Reply to
Derek

Some faults clear after a number of engine starts. You can still get the code though.

Reply to
Chris Bartram