Weight different between XU alloy & iron blocks?

Anyone know how much heavier the iron XU blocks are compared to the alloy ones? It seems like most/all 1998cc XU engines are iron blocks - such as the Citroen XM's 2 litre turbo engine, or the 2 litre 16v engine fitted to later

405's. Just wondering what I could expect to happen if I had a heavier block than my current 1905cc alloy engine.

Yes, I'm *still* deciding what to do with my 305 engine and exactly how mad I should go - all the while driving it to work every morning with an alarming ticking noise worsening as the days go by.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Hi,

No clue.

Post-93 XUs (XU8-XU10) are iron blocks, possibly to comply with noise rules. They also came with a catalyzer and you may need a lambda probe to get a correct run.

Wow, you're heading for another big job - anyway you've already done that once.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi G.T.,

Yes, that 405 cylinder head I put on the car a couple of years ago is deteriorating and I could probably do with a full engine rebuild. To be honest, I'm surprised it lasted this long as it had somewhere in the region of 120,000 miles on it and it came off a car in a breaker's yard that couldn't be started. I figured I'd put it on and see if I could get it to work and then if things went well, refurbish it later. It ran so perfectly straight away, that I didn't ever bother to take the head back off! Now it seems to be burning oil (probably still within the huge tolerances set by Peugeot though!), and it's making a clicking noise from somewhere on the head - it starts off very loud under acceleration and gets quieter as the car warms up.

So, basically I can either get the engine rebuilt or get a new engine. I must admit, I rather like the idea of getting the 16v engine under the bonnet :)

I've seen a Citroen XM turbo engine up for sale recently, but I think it might be too heavy & have far too many components to get into my engine bay!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B