Thinking of modding the 924...

Hey guys,

Well I've just about fixed everything that's wrong with the Porsche, so now I'm looking at ways of making it.. better ;)

Obvious choice would be to sell it and buy a turbo. I'd be seriously tempted if a decent one came along (I'm sorta *partially* looking at the moment), but I always like a challenge and just buying another car seems like the easy way out..

I've got a few ideas but the 1984cc 4cyl engine does kinda leave options limited. I'd either think some big carbs or throttle bodies would be the way forward without having to do anything too major to the engine.. otherwise could it be bored out?

Does anyone know of any manufacturers that make/made engine mods for the

924? Info seems to be a bit thin on the ground...

If I can't do anything then I'm just gonna have to stick a 16v engine in my

305!

Cheers,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

In article , lord snipped-for-privacy@SPAMyahoo.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Well, you could get an engineering shop to make up an equal length manifold and slightly bigger bore free flowing exhaust.

The normal companies will do cams, or a lot of motorsport places can grind cams if no off the shelf ones exist.

Also consider building or paying someone to build a megasquirt and getting a manifold made up to take throttle bodies (use a race weber or dellorto sidedraft manifold if one exists). With the Megasquirt you can get away with the kind of cams that would normally be undrivable on carbs or fixed injection, because the Megasquirt is fully mapable from a laptop. Later ones (or early ones with a daughter board) can do injection and spark.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Drop a 13b turbo in it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

its Audi based, so 20v Turbo conversion??? :D :D, body wise go for the GTS kit, with the wide arches, yummeh

Reply to
Theo

lol! then I guess I could shoehorn the audi 8v block in the RX-7 ;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

OH WOW! Thanks for that.. never heard of the megasquirt before - just did a bit of googling and this looks like fun ;) Only trouble would be getting a manifold made up.. gotta do this on a budget...

hmmmm.. *thinking cap on*

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Yeah, it's an audi-based engine - although I've been having a bit of difficulty finding what other variants/cars had the same basic block.. I'd consider a more powerful engine if I could just drop it in as I don't really want to start messing with welding in new engine mount positions. Body-wise, I wouldn't mind some subtle changes - not sure about the GTS kit, it does look cool but the rear arches look far too much like bits of plastic stuck over the wings for my liking.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Thought the engine was VW van based? And I've have thought a five cylinder replacement quite a job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SPAMdentalserve.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I'm sure that sometime in the last 20 years, someone has run a 924 on Sidedrafts on the track.

I'm sure that someone on the rennlist site will know where to find one. Failing that, ask on

After that, the TBs will probably be the easy part as a lot will be weber or Dellorto fitting compatable.

I've even heard of people using carb bodies as TB will all the air and fuel ways filled. Bike carbs might work even better.

One of the Skodalovers guys converted his single downdraught twinchoke estelle to run on duel bike carbs (5 port head). The manifold was basically the manifold flange that bolted to the head, which two tube stubs mounted onto it to match the head ports, he then used heavy duty silicon hoses to mount the carbs onto the stubs, and made a linkage to work both of a single cable.

Maybe you could do something like that. Get a simple flange made from a template off an original one, and get some tubular stubs fitted (4 in this case for quad throttles.

You might find

interesting too, based arround turboing his sand rail, but to do it, he needed to go injection. A lot of the pages have links out to sites for making your own fuel rails etc.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SPAMdentalserve.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Volkswagen van. Seriously. Not sure which one, may have been the LT.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Thanks for that - it gives me something to start from. The 924 currently is injected, but has a pretty weird fuel distributor-thingy setup with individual pipes running to each injector. I guess it's not as weird as I think it is, but it certainly doesn't look like the fuel rails I'm used to. I did a carb-to-injection conversion on the 305, but that turned out to be fairly easy (despite most of my friends and family telling me it was near 'impossible') as I could just bolt on a cylinder head off a 405. This time I think I'll need custom-made bits and I'm gonna have to work harder to get more power out. I bumped the power up from 105 to 125bhp (book-quoted, not tested but it felt like it) on the 305, here I'm starting out with 125bhp... I'd guess the upper limit from previous research for 8v 2 litre NA engines would be roughly 160bhp - but I don't want to get into masses of engine prep work unless I'm gonna up the capacity and rebuild the engine in the process (which begins to sound expensive). Plonking on some TBs along with my new obsession - MegaSquirt - would seem like the easiest way to go. Would 140bhp seem like a realistic target to start with?

Oh.. and VW vans, you say? Any idea how big this Audi block could go to?

2.2? 2.4? Be nice if I could find some oversize pistons...

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

AFAIK it's an Audi block with a Porsche head. I think the same block was used on Audi 80's around the same time, that's the only thing I know. It's more than likely that it was used by VW as well.. of course, it could have originated from VW I suppose, the 924 did start out as a VW-Porsche joint project, and I think was originally destined to be a VW before they sold the whole thing to Porsche.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

LT35, I think. Post in alt.autos.porsche and a bunch of aircooled snobs will inform you of the exact bastard heritage of the engine, I'm sure :).

Reply to
Doki

LT35 is correct..

As for aircooled snobs.. they've got PROPER Porsches...

Reply to
Pete M

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SPAMdentalserve.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

You have Bosch K jetronic.

Have a look for a product called K-Star, mainly used on tuning Porsche and VW based K-Jet applications. I've heard of one guy get it running on an 8v Saab 900 turbo though (even though the K-Jet people say it coan't be done. it's just another use for K-Jet)

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Porsche got the 944's 2.5L engine to fit the 924 when they made the

924S. Late ones produce 160bhp N/A.

Peter Hill

Yep. Again a possibility... but I've read that those engines cost a LOT in parts. I originally went for a non-porsche-engined 924 on the grounds that things would be cheaper. Well, if they are, I'd dread to think how much engine bits are on a 'proper' 924 ;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

It's just that large capacity 4 cylinder engines don't sound Audi - or any other quality maker, at least relatively recently. Remember it eventually ended up well over 2 litres.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, sourcing the parts could lead to a sizeable performance increase then.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Isn't that's cos they don't work very well - ie, the size of each combustion chamber is too big ?

Reply to
Nom