Why do petrol cars have vacuum pumps?

Daniel J. Stern ( snipped-for-privacy@engin.umich.edu) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Whoopeee.

A car built in Austria by a division of a German company beat a car built by a division of an American company.

Your point is?

Reply to
Adrian

Grant ( snipped-for-privacy@mason.sh) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Just as much "ours" as Mini, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Land-Rover...

Reply to
Adrian

Daniel J. Stern ( snipped-for-privacy@engin.umich.edu) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So it's our fault that your laws have been ridiculously protectionist for decades?

Your loss.

Reply to
Adrian

Depends. Do they have to be towing goalposts at the same time?

But 200,000 people in Northern France regularly see a number of those marques.

Reply to
Grant

...that it happened prior to Daimler buying Chrysler.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No, it's your fault what's left of your pathetic excuse for an auto industry doesn't build cars good enough to be exported.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You being in the UK and accustomed to the local standards, that's not surprising.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Naw, not really. You're perfectly happy to keep poisoning yourselves with lead, unburned hydrocarbons, Carbon Monoxide and PM-10 particulates. Just expect to get laughed at pityingly by the rest of the first world.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It's nice to read the US cares so much about other countries' polution. Does this mean they're about to impose the same controls on their companies who operate abroad as they would at home? No? Now there's a surprise.

Tell me something also. If you're so concerned about pollution, why do different states in the US have different regs?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now be fair, part of that is probably due to their driving on the opposite side of the road from most developed countries.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Unlike the famously unsuccessful Japanese auto industry :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

This one is easy to answer.

"Tell me something also." "If you're so concerned about pollution, why do different states in the US have different regs?"

Due to the weather that starts on the Pacific Ocean border of the US, many weather factors cause the smog and pollution to move eastward. Thus, this has a dramatic effect on the Air Quality in the US.

Snip

.
Reply to
charge

Oh, I've read about at least some of the reasons. I just assumed the self opinionated Mr Stern thinks weather and geographical conditions are the same the world over. If he even realises there is a world out there...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, I have "The Merlin in Perspective: The Combat Years" published by Rolls-Royce Heritage Press, and written by Alec Harvey-Bailey, one of the engineers who designed the Merlin. There was never a problem with Packard Merlins lacking power output, and Packard did solve several manufacturing process issues that had been plaguing the engine. The Merlin sorta grew by accretion, with all the attendant problems. The Griffon was much more of a "clean sheet" design (except for keeping the cylinder dimensions of the "R" racing V12) and incorporated all the many "lessons learned" from the Merlin (including those learned from Packard). But it came too late and all piston engines were replaced by turbines before it could gain wide use. Although it did serve for 40+ years with your front-line military in the Avro Shackleton.

You must have the fantasy version...

Reply to
Steve

What country DOES do that? Sheesh, and we get derided for NOT signing Kyoto (which specifically exempts a lot of those countries from tightening their standards). Not only that, but what you suggest would also get us branded "imperialists!" "How dare you force your standards into our country!"

Because:

a) any state is free to impose TIGHTER regulations than the nationwide regs

b) certain states, by dint of geography, weather conditions, and population density, need tighter standards than others to achieve the same air quality.

Reply to
Steve

If it did,

a) I wouldn't prefer it

b) I wouldn't be typing right now, I'd be pushing up daisies or (at best) in physical therapy.

Reply to
Steve

Buick-designed engines never did lack grunt. Even when built by Rover :-p

Reply to
Steve

The original did - topping out some 1500 rpm lower than the first Rover version. Which also managed considerably more power than the Buick original. Despite being 'saddled' with Lucas and SU products.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)