Xenon headlamps - UK

Hi,

My 2006 Peugeot Executive has xenon dipped headlights.

The handbook says on page 144 that the bulbs are D2S-35 W Xenon and that they must be replaced by a Peugeot dealer.

The local Peugeot Service Desk tells me that these bulbs are very expensive to replace - about £100 was mentioned.

However in my local Halfords the assistant told me that the xenon bulbs they sell at the current special offer price of 2 for £15 would be a suitable alternative. He referred to the fact that the manual quoted H1-55 W was the halogen bulb and the H1 Halfords' xenon bulb was the same fitting.

My questions are:

What's so difficult about changing these bulbs that the manual doesn't describe how to do it?

Are the Halfords' H1 bulbs really compatible.

Thanks

David

Reply to
No Spam

Basically the guy in Halfords is a muppet. You sound to have proper xenon headlights (HID - high intensity discharge), what the assistant is trying to sell you is halogen upgrade bulbs that are filled with xenon gas.

I assume you bulb looks like this:

And this is what the assistant is try to sell you:
This is taken from the autobulbs website FAQ:

9) Are xenon replacement bulbs the same as the ones you see in some new expensive cars with blue lights? No. These are known as HID systems. High Intensity Discharge's light output is over 3 to 4 times greater than a halogen bulb, with less heat and power consumption. HID requires an electronic control gear and starter to momentarily apply high voltage to a capsule of inert gases (including xenon) creating an intense arc of white light. HID emits brilliant white light. A 35W HID produces a light closer to natural sunlight compared to a 55w halogen. An HID system will typically cost between =A3200 - =A3300. We do also have these available here.

I've stopped using halfords as it run by kids who know nothing about cars. I haven't got HID system so can't tell you what the bulbs are like to fit but I'm sure one of the above suppliers would be able to help.

Reply to
ebme.technician

Aww come on, I used to like the muppets! My own experience of Halfords suggests there's nothing remotely likable about their time wasting, annoying antics. If they were the only place in the world to sell headlight bulbs I'd invest in a vacuum pump, glass blowing gear and some tungsten wire.

Djimbo.

Reply to
djimbo

Sounds about right for a dealer price:

?id=445&ls=related Both are D2S-35W Xenon lamps for HID systems - £69 for an unbranded lamp (£120 a pair), or £85 for a Philips lamp (£149 a pair).

David Hearn

[snip]
[snip]

Thanks for the reply.

You have confirmed my suspicions. Yes mine are DS2-35. I've had a search around the web this afternoon & can see matching replacement bulbs on several web sites at abt £70 including the 2nd web site you quote. I've asked them about the replacement aspect

Reply to
No Spam

Contact Ian at

He's very helpful, his prices are cheap, his products are brilliant and if you have a problem, he will help you out...and he knows what he's talking about also! Tell him you spoke to Daniel from Melbourne Australia Good luck. D

Reply to
tricky4000