light bulbs: what does H# mean?

Yesterday I was browsing car light bulbs at my local APS and there seem to be lots of differents types: H1, H4, H7..... does anybody know what do they mean, and which ones are good for beetles?

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

H4 is the bulb type used in beetles, THE ONES equipped with H4 headlights to begin with. They won't fit in the old style headlights. For that you can get "hybrid" bulbs, old style collar but H4 bulb. Excellent idea, we no longer need to make these ourselves. Might take a while to find a local source.

H1 and H7 are later model bulbs, smaller in size. Still halogen. H3 is a single filament bulb for those extra long beams or fog lights.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I've never managed to get these all straight either, but they are designations for different physical styles/shapes of bulbs and bases. you have to buy the style that fits in the socket you have.

You really don't have any choice.

-

Jim Adney