xenon lightbulbs

Xenon light bulb is burned out on the passenger side of my 2006 9-5. Where can I get replacement bulbs and are they easy to replace? Thx.

Reply to
nospam

It helps if you tell us where you are located, but assuming you are in the U.S.,

might have some. I believe the SaabManual for your 9-5 should have instructions on replacing the bulbs.

Reply to
Aaron Hsu

Thanks!

Reply to
nospam

No, the manual has instructions for the Halogen bulbs only

Reply to
nospam

You got me confused :)

I am referring to the Xenon bulbs which have a big magnifying glass in the housing, found in a 2006 Saab 9-5. I am not sure what type is included in this car that is why I posted the question.

Reply to
nospam

A lot of the "50%" brighter/whiter halogen bulbs you see in auto stores are just normal bulbs containing xenon gas. They cost a little more than normal umarked bulbs depending brand. Some have blue filters over the glass to look like HID lamps.

HID Xenon capsules use something 1ike 10-30000volts at very low amperage using a transformer/converter to convert the 12v car system high enough to throw a hi intensity arc (like a welder) between two terminals. Those are the lights that look blue/yellow/purple from a distance and brilliant white close up, and when you switch them on for the first time flicker like a florescent tube. Mercs and BMWs have them standard on higher end models. From Saab they probably cost something like a couple of hundred GBP to replace. You might find a compatible unit on the web/ebay cheaper. You need to work out which you have.

Depending on year/spec you might find base models had normal lights with xenon bulbs, while better models or option packs had b-xenon HID lighting.

A bit of googling with show you the difference between lamp shape and light output of a halogen xenon bulb and a HID xenon capsule

Reply to
Elder

In the US the 9-5 Aero used bi-xenon HID lamps. They were standard in 2002 but judging from

they may be optional now even on the Aero.

Reply to
Gary Fritz