Xenon headlamps

For a RRC, I was reading this months Practical Classics mag & saw some in a kind of review. Anyone used them, they are a direct replacement for halogen type lamps.

Any idea where I can buy two & how good they are etc?

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

IIRC Xenon is a halogen!

Reply to
GbH

I think you really knew what i meant didn't you? ;)

Reply to
Nige

Yes xenon/halogen lamps from halfrauds and reputable parts dealers everywhere and IMO well worth the money. I found a real improvement I drive home down unlit lanes .Look out for the double packs and save a few quid.Not to be confused with HID xenon projectors ( or summat like that) which aren't a direct replacement and are feckin dear.There is a test of major brands posted somewhere on the web but for the life of me I can't find it I think mine were branded 30+ but there are loads to go at. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Yeah, i have done some research, HID are totally different, my wifes Golf Gti has them. Anyone know what H number a RRC LSE would take? H7 possibly?

Cheers Derek

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

No unless they changed em after '89 H4's I think you will find it embossed on the metal cap if you pull one out (oo-er missus) Derek

Reply to
Derek

Too good. :-( Oncoming traffic with normal headlights will struggle to see where they're going.

If you do go for exceedingly bright lights then for the sake of all around you get them adjusted properly. The better you can see, the worse oncoming drivers can see.

Reply to
PDannyD

There speaks a man driving a Series LR with sealed beams of half a candle power each.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Not necessarily just affecting those with sealed-candle lamps , there is an ever-increasing trend amongst youthful car owners in particular to "upgrade" their headlights with easily obtainable HID Xenon kits, problem is, it's illegal! It is a legal requirement under construction and use regs that Xenon HID lights must be automatically controlled for height via sensors in the vehicles suspension, to prevent dazzle to oncoming traffic under all conditions. I've had it out with 2 such local "chav's" and got them to go and have them adjusted correctly, allbeit under the threat of a damn good kicking if they dazzled me again!! I've also failed cars presented for MOT's with them, for incorrect beam pattern, normally no pattern at all. Very dangerous for other road users. I just wish the totally useless local lazy bastard pigs would actually take an interest and do something about it instead of sitting drinking tea all night. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

:-)

Aye. Actually they're not bad headlights, just the standard non-dazzling and well-adjusted kind.

Reply to
PDannyD

...and PDannyD spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Good point. People drive on high beam (or with maladjusted driving lamps) regardless of oncoming drivers and think because they can see OK it must be safer for them. In fact, if I am driving 2 tonnes of Landy towards you and I can't see where I am going because of your lights, you may think that I present a considerable hazard to your health.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Got some for my disco from halfords, they the doing a buy one get one free offer, £12 for two. they do seem to give a much whiter light than standard bulbs.

Reply to
Paul

That's a glolbal problem Badger - exactly the same at this end of the world.

Reply to
EMB

"PDannyD" wrote in message news:dmcpsp$n1a$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

Since the dip beam pattern is exceptionally ill-defined then the only reason they don't dazzle is that a candle has as much light.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"EMB" wrote in message news:dmctb0$2ml$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz...

The local "chav's" up here in the North of Scotland sit occasionally (whilst not creating a mobile nuisance!) in a car park right next door to plod, the only time plod takes any notice at all is if they are walking (very rare!) past and the music is too loud. They run around the town with either no lights, sidelights, or side and fog lights under the misguided belief that it is cool. I nearly collected one in the side of the disco a few weeks ago, he appeared out of nowhere at a ridiculous speed (well over the legal 30, let alone a safer 20!) with sidelights only, preventing me from seeing him approaching as I pulled very slowly and carefully out of a blind junction in the middle of the town! Plod allegedly introduced a no-nonsense get-tough scheme recently, according to the local rag the toerags would get one warning then be charged and if they persisted their vehicles could be confiscated. All the sensible locals thought "about time", that was 2 months ago and nothing has changed, other than the tea consumption rate in the piggery due to the colder weather recently! I told the pigs about the one I almost collected, and the response was nothing more than the standard "Ah well, unless we actually catch them, there's not an awful lot we can do". He objected to my response of "Well, get off your arses and get out there then and you might actually have a cat in hell's chance of catching them!", attempting to have a go at me for my attitude. My further response was "Do your bloody job that my taxes are paying for then, if you don't like my attitude look in a mirror, what are you going to do, arrest me for exercising my legal right to free speech?" and with that, walked out the door. But it's comforting to know that if my local pub serves me with a beer after the legally permitted licensing laws allow, they'll take his alcohol licence from him in the interests of public safety!!!!! And the coppers wonder why they get little or no respect anymore..... lazy gits! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Quite, HID is High Intensity Discharge. That is they are a form of arc lamp and need special control gear to start and run them. You cannot simply swap the bulb and magically get HID lights.

You can get "uprated" or "xenon" ordinary halogen filament bulbs with blue paint one 'em to make your lights look like HID but that strikes me as remarkedly pointless. Why generate light then filter some of it out?

"Xenon" bulbs without the blue coating may offer more lumens per watt but there is an awful lot of FUD out there.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

LOL, you sound so much like me it's untrue!

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Unfortunately, when I get the bit between my teeth about something that's annoying me, I tend to get carried away. Ah well, I s'pose it's best I let off steam this way rather than baseball-batting their bloody foglights! ;-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

They do - somewhere between 30 and 50% greater light output for the same energy consumption.

Reply to
EMB

hehe - exactly

Reply to