'02 Pontiac Grand Am GT Engine Temp Rise when Idling

After driving with the engine warmed up to normal temp (around 200), when i get stuck in traffic or at stop lights my engine temp slowly inches up to the 230-250+ range. I've had a new thermostat installed and had the coolant flushed, but it still does it. The only thing that seems to lower the temp (while stuck in traffic or idling) is turning on the heat full blast.

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Probably an expensive fix....

Reply to
paleface23

  1. Fan not working for various reasons
  2. Blown head gasket
  3. Gage is erroneous for various reasons
  4. Cracked head

1 causes 2 and 4 btw. Any reason the shop you took it to for the flush didn't bother to diagnose the problem? GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

My '97 Firebird (LT-1 engine) ran at about 185, but quickly jumped to

210 to 215 when crawling in traffic. That is just the way it was. If this is the way yours has always been, it may just be the way it is.

Turning on the A/C actually helped more than the heater in my 'Bird. I think the fan turned on automatically with the A/C. And you can turn the heat up so there's no cold air coming out the vents.

Tom S.

Reply to
Tom S

Had that problem on my pick-up. Turns out that the radiator was mostly blocked with dead bugs & debris. It looked alright from the outside, because the air conditioning condenser wasn't plugged up... but these "high efficiency" radiators have much closer fin spacing than the condenser does. All the stuff that made it through the condenser got plastered onto the radiator. At road speed it was fine, even pulling a trailer... but a idle it would heat up. I pulled the shroud and grill off and used a low pressure (1750 psi) pressure washer set on "fan" spray to clean it out without folding over the fins... and it's been perfect ever since. David

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
David Courtney