93 maxima GXE engine "cold" no heat

I have a 93 Nissan Maxima, the car runs Ok in warm weather, but when the weather gets cold the following happens: When the engine is idling the Temperature Gauge (in the dash board) is normal and there is sufficient heat. However, when the temperature is cold (at or about freezing) and I start driving the temperature gauge slowly drops and so does the heat in the car, regardless if I have the heat on or not the temperature gauge goes down to C. This condition occurs faster when I am driving at higher speeds (e.g., highway) the temperature gauge goes down slowly to below Cold (C) and the heat goes down with it. I have replaced the thermostat and the coolant has been flushed.

Reply to
maxhead1

temperature

Reply to
chappy

Replace the thermostat

Reply to
JimV

Replace the engine temperature sensor. Located above the thermostat housing, it's the one pointing toward the rear. I had the exact same problem. Make sure your thermostat is a Nissan type and that it's new. That should fix you up!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H.

Simple test to see if you have to replace the thermostat.

With the engine cooled right down (overnight is great), take the radiator cap off, and start the engine. If you see coolant flowing in the radiator, the thermostat is frozen open.

Remember that the OEM thermostat is a "safety" type if it fails it fails wide-open.

regards bob

Reply to
gen1