1980 Sunbird Door Latch Help

Help, I need my '80 Sunbird to pass inspection. Drivers side door latch keeps falling down before it clears the striker bolt and door won't shut. Sometimes it takes 8 tries before the latch grabs on to the bolt. It's also popped open a couple of times while I was driving. Anyone know how to fix this?

Reply to
KatSunbird

Try spraying it with some type of spray - degreaser / cleaner ( Brakleen ) to remove all the old grease & gunk.

Three possibilities"

  1. Its 25 years old and just dirty & the mechanism is sticking.

  1. 25 year old Latch is worn & slow to respond.

  2. 25 year old Latch is broken

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,522 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face