1986 6000 base model--steering wheel wear

I just had the column worked on within the last year. Now it's scraping again. I've fixed it twice-or so I thought but it was at the used car lot I got it at not GM dealership. Is there some sort of shortcut being made here or does it really need adjusting every year? I have to grab it to exit but I certainly don't do it as hard as I USED to. It's the only mechanics that I use naturally to exit the cabin. I am obese too, and that can't help.

Steven says the old non-locking columns never did things like that to me.

Reply to
Steven Dinius

One thought comes to mind. Directly under the steering wheel is a plastic cap that covers the end of the steering column, it has several slots around the circumference. If the cap cracked at the point of one of the slots a tiny tab of plastic could be scraping against the steering column as you turn the wheel.

Age & heat tend to warp or crack plastic parts.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

OK but this is an intermittent thing and it sounds more like METALLIC scraping but I'll see if I can get the used car dealer to look at it. They fixed it the last time I had problems with the column. I think it was bearings but I don't recall.

Reply to
Steven Dinius