Steering Wheel Hacked Off!!

It's been over 5 years since I've been a victim of car crime but it seems tonight was my turn again

Returned to my 1995 Renault Clio RT tonight, to find the steering wheel hacksawed off whilst I'd been at work

It's a =A3300 old car that I leave in a Railway station car park all day, so that this sort of thing shouldn't happen, or when it does I shouldn't care too much about it (Oh but I do!). It's =A325 on Ebay for the same Steering Wheel at the moment. SO WHY RUIN MY WEEKEND!!!! And relax......

Anyway, what I've been left with is a badly hacksawed metal tube shaft sticking out of the plastic steering column There is what looks like the beginning of a thread that's been chopped which was part of the wheel hub assembly.

Basically, it's not just the missing steering wheel, they've buggered but the tube it's supposed to be attached to as well. So I guess I will need to replace this metal shaft which dissappears down into the steering column.

I'm pretty useful with most mechanics but never ventured into Steering Wheels before This one had an Air Bag fitted too, just to make things complicated (not that I can see any sort of cable dangling)

I guess Mr & Mrs Haines will be getting 15 quid out of me in the morning but can anyone offer any advice Particularly about how to replace the metal shaft they've hacked in half

What's it called? So I know what to ask for, might be a start.

Cheers

ProducerPJ

Reply to
ProducerPJ

ProducerPJ (ProducerPJ ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It wasn't the wheel they were after... It was the airbag.

That *IS* the steering column. It's wot attaches wheel to rack to wheels. Fairly important... Replacing it's going to involve a lot of stripping out of dash, and quite possibly engine bay.

And _that's_ what they were nicking... My best guess? Look for a local scrote with a bent 16v (or chavved-up- wannabe-16v) Clio...

Brutally honest? Don't bother. Throw it away. Insurance claim? Your choice. Not sure I'd bother. But I'd definitely let plod know - they may well know of the scrote & his bent motor.

Even after you've fannied about with trailering it back to wherever you can fix it, to strip it all down and replace the column is going to be a bugger of a job. Then there's the wiring to the windbag (and anything else on the wheel - horn?). Ignore the airbag, and you're going to have to put up with a nice bright light on the dash all the time (unless you pull the bulb while the dash's out) and you may find yourself on the losing end of any future accident injury claim from your insurance. Fix it but c*ck the wiring up even slightly, and you may find yourself with a face full of explosion at a rather inconvenient moment...

Reply to
Adrian

The scrote will be easy to find, just look for a Clio with exhaust clamps on it's springs.

Reply to
Fred

But surely a few bolts would've been easier than 20 minutes with a hacksaw? What a very bizzare thing to do.

But I agree, it doesn't sound worth fixing.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

John Greystrong (John Greystrong ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You know that. I know that.

However, we both have IQs somewhat higher than those of the kind of scrote who'd nick a steering wheel in a station car park using a hacksaw.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm shocked. I would have thought that airbags (or at least airbag triggering mechanisms...) would have been in the MOT.

But a quick Google says apparently not.

Reply to
PC Paul

Why? They are not even a legal requirement.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

LOL!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

There are many items that are not a legal requirement, yet if fitted must work for the MoT

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Same as the SRS system in my Merc, which has now passed at least three MOTs with the SRS light on.

(FWIW there's no fault, just that someone triggered the light while performing a repair, and it's a main dealer job to reset)

Reply to
asahartz

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Calling the police in a bit, just for a crime number though, not that it's going to do me any good

I still can't believe it either.

I got the car home myself rather than paying a garage =A3140, by hammering a 12mm socket onto the 12.5mm hacked column and using a T Bar to steer with. DON'T try this at home kids. It was just 4 miles of slowish country roads, not the M25.

The AA weren't interested in helping me home, said it was vandalism not a breakdown so not covered. Very helpful at 9pm on a Friday night! So quite chuffed to have worked out a way to get the damn thing home without a steering wheel and without forking out. Had to move it as I had trhe feeling there'd be nothing left but a chasis by dawn.

Yeah, the same steering wheel with an airbag on Ebay from a breakers is =A325, half a tank of petrol! And for that they've practically written the car off, especially if I was just to take it to a garage and pay for new

As it is, I'm going to buy the bits from Ebay and attempt it myself but as has been mentioned I'm not very hopeful Going to strip it all out this morning and reason if I can take it apart then I should be able to put it back again.

On Ebay (yeah I know), there's a whole column with the ignition keys and all the bits for about =A330, which doesn't sound as bad as I thought

be 2 distinct halves have a joint halfway down. Is it on that joint that I could swap damaged to half for new? Or are you not supposed to break this joint and replace the whole column?

Once again thanks for taking an interest

ProducerPJ

Reply to
ProducerPJ

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Calling the police in a bit, just for a crime number though, not that it's going to do me any good

I still can't believe it either.

I got the car home myself rather than paying a garage £140, by hammering a 12mm socket onto the 12.5mm hacked column and using a T Bar to steer with. DON'T try this at home kids. It was just 4 miles of slowish country roads, not the M25.

The AA weren't interested in helping me home, said it was vandalism not a breakdown so not covered. Very helpful at 9pm on a Friday night! So quite chuffed to have worked out a way to get the damn thing home without a steering wheel and without forking out. Had to move it as I had trhe feeling there'd be nothing left but a chasis by dawn.

Yeah, the same steering wheel with an airbag on Ebay from a breakers is £25, half a tank of petrol! And for that they've practically written the car off, especially if I was just to take it to a garage and pay for new

As it is, I'm going to buy the bits from Ebay and attempt it myself but as has been mentioned I'm not very hopeful Going to strip it all out this morning and reason if I can take it apart then I should be able to put it back again.

On Ebay (yeah I know), there's a whole column with the ignition keys and all the bits for about £30, which doesn't sound as bad as I thought

be 2 distinct halves have a joint halfway down. Is it on that joint that I could swap damaged to half for new? Or are you not supposed to break this joint and replace the whole column?

Once again thanks for taking an interest

ProducerPJ

if the joint is bolted up then split it there, many joints are welded on assemblies though

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The AA are csnts like that, they wont recover you after an accident either, strictly breakdown only.

Depends on the joint, if it's a bolted on UJ then you're probably OK.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Removed the bottom half of the dash to look at the joint and it they don't look much like bolts to me Blind headed on both sides so I guess it's welded, in which case it's the whole column to replace and so it's not a job for me

:o(

PJ

Reply to
ProducerPJ

Still, if you ever meet the scrote who did it, then I think you've found a new seat of leather seat covers. What a total bastard!

IMHO, I think it's new car time. Of course you could fix it, with a whole new steering column. However that's a horrible thing to have to swap, you don't sound as if you're keen to get stuck in there yourself and the garage bill will be crazy.

Years ago I'd have done it. But these days?.... For £300, I'd be looking at swapping cars.

I'd abandon the AA too, and tell them why.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

================================== Look at the bottom of the steering column (under the car) where it joins the steering rack. There will probably be a pinch bolt there holding the column to the rack. If this is the case undo the pinchbolt / nut and remove. The column can then be lifted upwards BUT you will also have to disconnect several nuts / bolts inside the car which may be difficult to access under the dash etc.

You can check this procedure in your Haynes manual if you get one.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks for the advice Andy

Yeah it does look like a job with a fair amount of involuntary swearing going on

MOT's up at the end of November too, not that I suspect anything obvious to fail as it's in great nick, or at least it was until last night.

PJ

PJ

Reply to
ProducerPJ

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D- Hide quoted text -

OK thanks I'll go and have a try and see if I can undo it from the rack, in theory I can put a replacement back

Just a wild idea here, as I've got at least an inch and a half of bare column still sticking out of the dash is there anyway a new thread could be cut at the top of it or some other way might exist to safely fix a new steering wheel, not a even Renault one, just to make it drivable?

I did drive the car home last night with a hammered on socket and a T bar, although I don't think ROSPA (or the Police) would be very happy with me if they knew. Don't fear, it's not moving again until it's properly fixed

;o)

PJ

Reply to
ProducerPJ

PC Paul (PC Paul ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Why? They're fail-safe. If the light's on, they're disabled. Ain't gonna go off. There's nothing else that can be checked.

Reply to
Adrian

Like ABS.

Reply to