steering wheel won't unlock?

I have a new to me 1992 Lexus Sc400

I had lost the key and the key code on the cylinder did not match the lock. So I had the locks rekeyed, and I had to drill out the ignition cylinder lock and replace it with one from the junk yard.

The car starts just fine now, and will shift into drive. But the steering wheel is locked now and won't budge.

Any ideas on what I can do? Or where the mechanism is that controls the lock mechanism on the steering wheel?

Help a med student out here, I don't really want to have to tow the car to a dealership.

thanks

Reply to
sdastg1

The mechanism that controls the steering wheel lock in on the steering column under the column cover. I believe that the cover is held in place with 4 Phillips head screws on the underside of the cover. If you remove the cover, you should be able to see how the locking mechanism works. You will need a key to work the mechanism. If you replaced the cylinder without taking the column cover off, you probably did not engage it with the locking mechanism.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the quick reply. I have removed the steering wheel cover and all of the plastic under the drivers side dash. I'm not sure if I see the locking mechanism your reffering to. Tomorrow morning when it's light out, I'll snap a pic, and post it here. If you could then point it out to me on the pic, I'd greatly appreciate it.

thanks again!

Reply to
sdastg1

The locking mechanism is connected to the ignition lock cylinder.

Reply to
Ray O