1993 Pontiac Grand AM SE Alternator problem

I have a 3.3L 1993 Pontiac Grand AM SE. The original 105 amp alternator went bad and I had it replaced. The shop installed a 100 amp alternator instead of a 105 amp alternator.

Since then replacement the voltage meter on the dash has been fluctuating between 13 - 16 volts. I turn on the air conditioner it will drop momentarily below 13 volts and immediately come back up. Yesterday the ABS brake light wouldn't go out, it went out and then the check guages light came on, then it went out. Today I am driving home and the check oil light comes on (the oil pressure guage is working and there is oil in the engine, not low or anything).

Autozone says the alternator is fine, but when they were testing it the voltage dipped momentarily below 13 volts and immediately went back up. This test was done at 2000 RPMs.

The alternator is under a lifetime warranty, should I have them replace it with a 105 amp alternator?

This is the only vehicle I have running right now.

Reply to
CJ

Sounds like a bad internal voltage regulator. Could be a bad connection. Before exchanging the alt, clean every hot & ground connection that you can find. Btw, a "lifetime warranty" is only good one time. I had to take the hood insulator off my 3.3 GA to keep from burning up alternators. Not much air flow in the engine "V".

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul