1996 GrandAM overheating

My 96 Grand Am SE 6 cyl. periodically overheats. It seems when it does this, the fan is not working, then it will suddenly start to cool back off and the fan is again running. Sometimes this will happen for a few weeks on and off, then run fine for months. Could this be a censor or should I replace the fan.(I have replaced nearly everything on this car already, and had almost every single problem I have read about on this site for these models,it is the LAST Pontiac I will ever own)

Reply to
Charleegirl33

It could be almost anything. Narrow it down. Randomly replacing parts in the hopes of randomly replacing the bad one gets very expensive.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

when you say over heating, what temperature are you seeing? The cooling fan should come on at about 220 deg F and shut off about 200.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Hello Charliegirl33, could be a bad connection at the sensor near the thermostat houseing that turns on the cooling fan, or at the relay on the in- side fender, next time car runs hot wiggle the wires gentlely at the relays located on the inside of the fender under the hood if the fan starts up you found the problem, or have your shop check it out. Mike De Vito

Reply to
Michael C De Vito

It is shooting up all the way to the red.

Reply to
Charleegirl33

Thank you, I will try this. I had a shop look at it, and $300.00 later, they can't tell me anything other than, "they're not sure what it is". They basically want to start replacing things until something works. Thanks, Charlee

Reply to
Charleegirl33

They are incapable of diagnosing automotive problems. Take it some where else.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Then go under the hood and on the in-side of the fender on the drivers side near the strut tower should be 2-3 relays wiggle these wires to see if the radiator fan comes on, or have your shop check this for you. Mike De Vito

Reply to
Michael C De Vito

Return to the shop and have them check for loose connections----at the fan relays------and at the thermostat houseing where the switch to turn the fan on should be-----and gentlely remind them of that $300.00 bill that seemingly didn=92t help to much.-----Loose connections can be tricky to find. Mike De Vito

Reply to
Michael C De Vito