1998 Pontiac Grand Am Front Lower Control Arm Bushings.

What is it with Grand Ams and control arm bushings?

I had mine done at 37k, and now at 121k they are bad again. They clunk as they have slid down the bushing and rest there.

I have heard that this is a pretty common problem on the Grand Ams

Does anyone make an aftermarket control arm bushing kit for the Grand Am that is much bettern than OEM?

Thanks, Jeff P

Reply to
Jeffrae

I never heard that. How could they slide down the bushing? They are capped on both sides by the bushing support where the bolt goes through the frame? I replaced the ones in my G/A at about 150k miles. They were still reasonably good and could have gone another 100k miles but I put poly in for better handling. I don't remember price but they were not very expensive. Getting the old ones out was a real chore though. Had to drill them out a bit at a time.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Well you can tell something slipped down.. The Driver side the control arm is on the bushing.

The passenger side lower control arm slipped down and it resting on the suspension support.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrae

Wow...! That is interesting. I can't recall ever hearing about =

similar problems with that car. It almost sounds like there is something else wrong that is eating bushings. The bushing are contained within the frame. There is no where for them to go except disintregating. Do you think something - oil, etc - could be eating them? I know that OReillys and AutoZone can get poly bushings. They seem to be a lot more durable than plain rubber but the ride will be harder. They come in bright red, black, blue, etc.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

what year is your GA?

Reply to
Jeffrae

1992. Speaking only about the front suspension: The front bushing is the same as yours. The rear bushing is different though. Mine is horizontal, yours is vertical. Other than that, the front suspension is nearly identical from car to car.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul